<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Monday, September 03, 2012

Now for a Brief Announcement....

As of September 3rd, [That would be today] I will be taking a two-week hiatus from blogging.  That is because I am seriously thinking about moving my blog from a Blogger format to Wordpress. 

Since January 2010, I've been maintaining a Wordpress blog that deals specifically with my articles on premillennialism.  I've seen how much better it is with Wordpress to maintain posts, track folks who visit my blog, and more importantly, the ability to handle comments that Blogger just doesn't provide. 

For instance, with Blogger, I'm limited to really just a couple of options regarding what I can do with comments.  I can either approve them or delete them.  I can't edit them, nor can I go back and even edit a comment I left.  Wordpress provides a wide range of things I can do with comments and commenting including the ability of returning back to edit them for content.

Also, I have not at all been happy with the "new" Blogger.  I specifically don't care a lick about the new posting composition editor.  In fact, the Blogger posting editor has been a major bane during my blogging career over the last 7 years.  It has the terrible habit of just losing my posts in a blink of an eye. I can't tell you how immensely frustrating that is after you've spent an hour hammering out your thoughts on some important subject.
 
This past week, I had a long-time reader emailed me practically begging me to move my blog to Wordpress because he lost a comment that he was trying to post.  That apparently happens a lot, too with people on Blogger.  I told him that if I can do it with the certainty that I wouldn't lose seven years worth of blood, sweat, and tears contained in my articles, I'd seriously consider it.  He sent me some sites that tell me how to do it, and after reading them as well as doing my own personal research, I'd like to give it a try. 
 
So the next two weeks (at least), when I have a few spare moments, I plan to work on this project.  My goal is to have the Wordpress alternative "Hip and Thigh" operational by mid-September and I will run this blog and that blog together for a couple of weeks and then close the Blogger version in October if all goes well. 

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Fra'vangelico said...

So, if you do go ahead and make the jump, can we also expect a "Blogger Survivors" companion site?

5:45 PM, September 03, 2012  
Blogger DJP said...

Do tell what you think of it.

6:06 AM, September 04, 2012  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Oh I do. I hope to write up a review and everything when I have a moment.

6:07 AM, September 04, 2012  
Blogger Lynda O said...

Looking forward to your review, what you think of the two. I've only used Wordpress, but from what I can tell (from the blogger blogs I visit) it has better comment moderation features -- such as allowing (no moderation) anyone who has previously commented, or specifically listing user IDs that require moderation, whereas apparently Blogger requires all or nothing moderation.

(And the blogger captchas are hard to read...)

9:31 AM, September 04, 2012  
Blogger D.B. said...

I have been using Blogger and I would consider transferring over to Wordpress. Do you have the website that explains what to do?

9:29 PM, September 08, 2012  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

If you search for "Moving your blog from blogger to WordPress" you'll find a large number of "how-to" articles and videos. I basically read through them to get an idea of what I need to do.

Essentially, I went to WP, registered my blog name (hipandthigh was thankfully available), picked a theme (what your blog will basically look like), and then followed the instructions on my dashboard to import all my posts and comments over to my new WP blog. It was too easy for me and I thought I had screwed something up, but gratefully, I hadn't.

All this past week I have been spending a little time here and there building the masthead, sidebar links, and my page of articles. I may be directing people to it as early as this next week. An entire week a head of what I had scheduled.

6:33 AM, September 09, 2012  
Blogger D.B. said...

That's good to know. Thanks Sir.

9:12 PM, September 09, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home