<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Kirk and Me: H&T Classics

Kirk Cameron has come into the news recently because on a CNN program he basically stated that homosexual perversion is detrimental to the practicing homosexuals as well as the overall society at large.  The practitioners of homosexual perversion, however, would not stand for anyone disapproving of their perversion, so they set about attempting to force their views upon Kirk Cameron and anyone who agrees with him. 
Kirk stuck to his convictions and refused to back down with a squishy apology to pacify PC outrage.  The story can be read in more detail HERE.
Back during the first year or so after I started blogging, Kirk Cameron and his family was attending my church for a while.  I recall one of his kids was in the Sunday school class of one of my kids, so I occasionally saw him and his wife either dropping off or picking up at the door.
Since Kirk’s “controversial” comments against homosexual perversion, a couple of posts I wrote  about him have seen a large amount of activity.  Seeing that I wrote these up like 6 years ago, way before I had the massive readership I have now, I thought I would repost them. 
----------------------
I Had My First Kirk Cameron Sighting
imageOn Labor Day I was at a get together with the family and I had one of our dear friends tell us excitedly how she spoke with Kirk Cameron, the former 80s TV sitcom star and teen idol and now Way of the Master host, at our church on Sunday. "He came up with his family to the Christmas in September table where I was sitting and asked where they go for membership." "Really," I said, "Kirk Cameron? No, foolin'?"
The next week when I went to church, I looked all over campus to see if I could find him. I thought he would be fairly easy to spot being a genuine, recognizable TV personality, but he proved as elusive as Nessie.
The following week, I had two other friends on two separate occasions tell me of seeing Kirk Cameron at church. One older friend remarked, "He walked by our pew and I thought I recognized him as someone famous, but I couldn't remember who he was." I quipped, "I think he was that genius kid on Doogie Howzer, MD." "Oh yeah," stated my friend, "that's where I have seen him."
My friend isn't too keen on 80s TV sitcom stars.
The week after that, I had even more friends and co-workers talk about seeing Kirk. "Have you seen Kirk, yet?" the person would ask. "I think he is coming to our church now." "So I have heard," I would say.
"I saw Kirk over by the bookstore," stated one person.
"I saw Kirk and his kids by the fountain," another would claim.
"Kirk was over walking by the gym."
"Have you seen Kirk?"
Kirk Cameron was proving to be my snuffleupagus.
Welp, this past Sunday, I had my first official Kirk Cameron sighting. I was seated with my wife, the call to worship music just started when a glare of sun light caught my eye. I turned to the left, looking over my shoulder, and there he stood with a buddy. Bigger than life. They looked around for seats, made their way around the perimeter of the sanctuary and an usher sat them down right next to the deaf section in the front by the organ.
I jabbed my wife and said, "Lookit, Kirk Cameron."
So I guess he is real after all.
--------------------
Rubbing Shoulders with Celebrities
I had noted in a blog article back in September how everyone at my Church but me was seeing Kirk Cameron and his family on Sunday mornings. After I finally had my first official "Kirk Cameron Sighting," I not only see the guy every Sunday at least once, but sometimes more than twice.
Usually, it is just him and his wife or kids. I normally see him during the second service when he comes in the back door close to where my wife and I sit in church. Rarely do I see him talking with "regular" church folks. There could be good reasons for that. Kirk and his family are somewhat new to our church and with a church that large, it may take a bit to get plugged into fellowship groups and so forth. But also, I think many folks are a tad intimidated by his celebrity status and they are either afraid to speak with him or think they shouldn't come across as "fans" and feel they need to give him his space.
I generally don't get intimidated by celebrities, especially Christian celebrities.  I will definitely get excited to meet someone I genuinely respect as an author or preacher, however.
For example (and my wife loves this story), the first time I met James White, I was walking down a hall behind our worship center and I saw James with Phil Johnson. I stopped and point-blank asked Phil, "Well, aren't you going to introduce me?" Phil laughed, introduced me to James, and in a fit of excited glee, when I went to shake James' hand, I gave him one of those two handed clasp shakes and even patted the top of his hand as I told him how much I appreciated his apologetic work. I felt like an idiot after that encounter, but hey.
So, Kirk looks like a normal guy. I don't know why people would be intimidated by him. I am sure his breath smells in the morning just like mine. I personally want to meet him to talk about theology and apologetic methodology. I intend to make it across the campus someday when I see him roaming around so as to introduce myself.
Yesterday, I am walking with my oldest boy to pick-up my second oldest boy from his Sunday school class. I turned to my left as I walked to greet a friend and wave a quick hello, and as I turned back around to watch where I was going, I bump into this guy who was talking with his kid. I looked up to say "sorry about that" and IT WAS KIRK CAMERON!!! I stared blankly at him, frozen as to what to say. I then channeled Jerry Lewis and blurted out, "Sawwwerrrry about that..."
Yeah. What's the big deal about celebrities?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Darren said...

Can I ask what Church this was at?

8:19 AM, March 14, 2012  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Grace Community Church in Sun Valley CA.

www.gracechurch.org

8:23 AM, March 14, 2012  
Blogger Truth Unites... and Divides said...

Did Kirk Cameron sit under Pastor John MacArthur's teaching and preaching?

12:40 PM, March 14, 2012  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

He did. At least he was in the congregation when John preached.

2:40 PM, March 14, 2012  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home