<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Friday, January 06, 2012

Aeropress Coffee: A Review

Let me tell you about one of the better Christmas gifts Santee Claws brought me.

So the morning after me and the family arrived in Arkansas, I'm talking with my mom about gifts for my brother and she tells me about getting him this Aeropress coffee thingy he had put on his Amazon wish list. She had accidentally order two, and she says, "I was going to return it unless you want it."

Being the shameless, self-righteous coffee snob that I am who is constantly on a quest to drink the greatest cup of joe ever made, I thought, "sure." So, I unpacked the box, and using the Peet's coffee I brought with me, I followed the easy instructions that are conveniently provided for you in a little booklet in like, 30 languages, including PNG Pidgin, and took a sip of my freshly brewed coffee made with an Aeropress.

I stood fixed in one spot as the hot liquid bathed my taste buds in coffee goodness. It was as if reality peeled away for a moment and I experienced the ability to see through time and space like that Dave Bowman guy in 2001.

Maybe I am stretching it a bit, but it was a seriously excellent tasting cup of coffee.

The Aeropress is a real simple contraption. Apparently invented just in 2005 or thereabouts by a Stanford grad. The press is a plastic cylinder in which you put the coffee, and an enormous syringe plunger device fits inside that you use to gently push the water down over the grounds into the mug. The video below explains some of the reason why it makes an amazing cup of coffee so check it out.

Knowing how I am so conceited about my coffee, I had the Chemex device recommended to me as an alternative to the coffee pot. I picked one up, and it's important to note that they're not cheap, running at about 35 bucks for an average sized one, but I never really grew to like it. The primary reason was the fact my coffee wasn't hot like I like. It would be warm, for sure, but when you pour the hot water over the grounds, it loses a lot of its heat the four minutes or so it takes to go through it's "brewing" process. I like my coffee to have a bit of a bite when I begin to drink it.

Not so with the Aeropress. Once you pour the water in, the process takes no more than 30 seconds or less, so you still have the heat in the coffee. Plus, clean up is easy. All you have to do is twist off the filter cap, and press the plunger all the way through over a trash can. A little coffee ground puck pushes out the end with a satisfying "pop." Swish the parts with some water and soap, and it's clean as a whistle.

There are a ton of videos demonstrating it's use. I have embed one of the better demonstrations. There is even a yearly contest, as I understand it, where contestants meet to show off their ability to make a fabulous cup of coffee.


Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have one of these, and absolutely love it. It's a great alternative to a French press.

11:18 AM, January 06, 2012  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Thanks Unknown, it certainly is a awesome alternative to the French press.

11:22 AM, January 06, 2012  
Blogger DJP said...

I stood fixed in one spot as the hot liquid bathed my taste buds in coffee goodness. It was as if reality peeled away for a moment and I experienced the ability to see through time and space like that Dave Bowman guy in 2001.

Dude, that is poetry.

Pardon me, something in my eye...

7:29 AM, January 09, 2012  
Blogger Rick_Egoscue/Austin said...

Great review, thanks! Just ordered one of these.

If my goal is to create a rich flavorful cup of coffee, not an "aeropresso", what kind of grind should I use? The same as I use for my Bonavita drip device, or more fine of a grind?

Thanks again for a really solid review.

4:35 PM, February 17, 2013  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Rick,
Hope you will like it like I still do and I haven't led you astray. I wrote that review way over a year ago and I still thoroughly enjoy the coffee I make from it.

I typically use a fine ground with mine. I've also tried various techniques that I have seen on the videos available on youtube so make sure you check them out.

7:03 AM, February 18, 2013  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home