<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Why Israel's Salvation Matters

I saw this video linked over at Alan Kurschner's new site. I watched it shortly before I left for my trip. It's Michael Brown teaching at a large church in Northern California on the salvation and restoration of Israel.

Some may raise a red flag because it is Michael Brown. He does run in charismatic circles; and I mean it's not those "Reformed," Sovereign Grace charismatic circles. Ignore that smudge against his personal theology, because I do think this lecture has some good stuff in it worthy of your time.

Also, I will say I disagree with him on two points. First, I believe he is a bit unfair with my Reformed brethren and their theology of fulfillment. He zeroes in on the concept of "replacement theology," and though I think Reformed theology can be accurately labeled a "replacement" theology, in fairness, it is important to note how they define the concept. Brown focuses on "replacement" implying that they are all antisemitic, and that is hardly the truth. It would have been helpful for him to interact with their definitions and distinctions.

Then secondly, he states in one of his points that Jesus will not come until all of Israel is saved. I am not convinced of his argument. Not only does it reek of Arminianism, which is possible knowing Dr. Brown is Arminian, but he glosses over those passages of scripture, like Deuteronomy 30:1-10 that speak of God being the one who brings about Israel's salvation. Israel will all certainly be saved, but it is God who sovereignly brings about that salvation in spite of the churches lack of Jewish evangelism.

Why Israel's Salvation Matters

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Fred where do you place the rapture? Are you in agreement with the Pretrib position or do you like Alan's Prewrath position or a post trib position. Just curious where you stand and why.

1:54 PM, December 19, 2011  
Blogger Sir Aaron said...

What does one mean when one says "all of Israel?" The "all" part bothers me because it leaves a lot up for definition.

1:19 PM, December 20, 2011  
Blogger Charles E. Whisnant said...

All elect Israel will be saved. Right?

7:24 PM, December 20, 2011  
Blogger Good Christian Boy said...

That video delivers the heaviest anti-Christian propaganda I think I have heard. Fred! Are you leaving the faith?

1:26 PM, December 22, 2011  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Okay. I'll bite. Please explain how it delivers some of the heaviest anti-Christian propaganda. I am assuming you are aware of what supercessionism is and the history behind the subject?

2:26 PM, December 22, 2011  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home