<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Wednesday, February 09, 2011

MacArthur in Charleston

My pastor has had many unique opportunities during his 40 years of ministry. The last couple of days has been one of those opportunities. John spoke at St. John's Episcopal Chapel in Charleston, South Carolina, at an African-American pastor's conference on the 150th anniversary of the Civil War on the topic of being a slave to Christ. How's that for unique?

Here's an on-line report from all places, a Utah paper. (It may be a general [AP] report).

Don Green, who is our managing director at Grace to You, provided some correspondence coverage via his Facebook page. Here are a few samplings:

From the beginning of the conference Tuesday evening:

- An enthusiastic audience welcomes John MacArthur to Charleston with an extended standing ovation. Black gospel music has people in a mood to worship and hear the Word of God.

- To be a slave is to be owned. Slavery had such a stigma that translators avoided the word. Servants do functions. Slaves are owned, disciplined, and rewarded. Slave is dominant word to describe a Christian in Bible.

- Black pastor tells me after tonight's session: "You have no idea what this means to our Christian community. Tonight is unprecedented. To have a white pastor of John's stature speak in a black church . . . nothing like this has ever happened. This will break down walls. You just have no idea."

And then this one from today's various ceremonies with the city council of Charleston:

- "Biblical understanding of slave redeems the term. You don't have to live with past baggage of slavery, my black friends. Being a slave of *Christ* changes everything for you."

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Edward said...

Hi Br. Fred, I would just like to say it should not be note worthy for a white Christian to speak at a black church. For starters there should not be black and white churches or black and white Christians.
We are all only one race. I am in my sixties now but I was raised in a home where I would get scolded for referring to a black woman as a black lady. Thankfully God has drawn me to the Savior for salvation and now I have a love for all people. I think a saved person only sees people as saints and aints and have a longing for the salvation of the aints.

4:09 PM, February 09, 2011  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Yep, you are right. It shouldn't be notable that John spoke in a black church. But alas, this is reality and we should praise the Lord none the less and give glory to God before an amazed, unbelieving world.

4:20 PM, February 09, 2011  
Blogger DJP said...

Excellent. Good on all involved.

7:40 AM, February 10, 2011  
Blogger threegirldad said...

I wonder if it was recorded...

11:27 AM, February 10, 2011  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

It was. Not sure of when it will be made available.
Fred

1:10 PM, February 10, 2011  
Blogger Shazza89101 said...

Hi Fred,

I'm so glad John went and spoke to my fellow black people...what an awesome topic...!!!! That's a beautiful thing, I have not yet read his book "Slave", but I'm going too. I wish I could have been there, and then to tell those southern black folks that he was my pastor for years, when I just became a Christian. I'm looking forward to hearing the sermon. Hopefully it will be available soon!!! Blessings, your friend Sharon.

7:49 PM, February 10, 2011  
Blogger Daniel M said...

My son in law and I went to the AM and PM session on Wednesday. It was a privaledge to actually hear and see John Macarthur in person since I live in SC. He was vintage Macarthur that day, speaking with clarity and conviction. I wasn't under the impression that I was in a predominantly "black" church, since the turnout (both participants and spectators) appeared to be represented by equal ethniticity. I was more amazed that the event was at an episcopal church rather then a southern black church. I did notice that John took the liberty to address the PM session,not on the scheduled continuing sermon of slaveship but rather spoke on the all important need of the gospel presentation of our reconciliation to God from 2 Cor.5:17-20. I am always indebted to men of God who explain and preach God's Word in a way that the truth can be known and understood.

9:53 AM, February 16, 2011  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home