Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Chuck Smith Loses Mind

I would imagine many of my daily readers are aware of the utterly shameful comments Calvary Chapel founder, Chuck Smith, gave to a young gal who called his radio program a week or so ago. She explained how she was pregnant with Siamese twins: two-heads sharing the same body. (Yes, I know, conjoined twins is the P.C. term). Worldly doctors, of course, always give the worse case scenario and in this instance, they tell the woman she will die and the baby will die. Hence, the only option is to save yourself all the heartache, tears, suffering, and trial, and kill it (them).

Chuck Smith, mustering all the wisdom one can in the final 2 minutes of a call-in radio program, counsels her to get the abortion. God will be gracious, he says to her.

I read the report, but the impact is more forceful to hear the actual audio.

I may have more to add to this post later today or tomorrow. In the meantime, read Dustin Segers post about the whole thing:

Chuck Smith Needs to Repent



Blogger The Squirrel said...

Honestly, I was stunned when someone sent me the audio to Smith's comments. He's never been the skilled exegete his followers claim him to be, but I was totally unprepared for his horrid advice.

Also, in the original call, the young mother did not say that her life was in danger, just that the doctors said that the children would likely die within a day or two of birth. The next day, in an effort to "cover his tracks", Smith said that her life was in danger and that the children would die an hour after birth. Dishonesty on top of poor judgment.

I'm both sickened and saddened by this.


7:46 AM, February 16, 2011  
Blogger RealityCheck said...

Yeah I read this the other day and (as squirrel has pointed out) the only thing more outrageous than what he said to the caller was how he completely mis-represented what she originally said in order to try and make an excuse for the terrible advice he gave her.

10:26 AM, February 16, 2011  
Blogger The Seeking Disciple said...

I tend to hope (perhaps against hope) that Smith is showing signs of his age. I know Billy Graham has made some bizarre statements in his later years and I pray that Smith, if he is in his right mind, would repent.

10:51 AM, February 16, 2011  
Blogger Sir Aaron said...

Unbelievable. Unbelievable. There are about fifty things he could have said better than this.

An obvious answer would be to suggest that she meet with a Christian doctor who can review her situation and help decide the best course of action that is both medically and Biblically appropriate.

As a general rule, you'd have to really convince me that in today's medical environment with early delivery via C-section, that an abortion is necessary to save the mother's life. I'm sure there are rare instances...but it would take a lot of effort to convince me.

10:10 PM, February 19, 2011  
Blogger Shazza89101 said...

Yes, this is so unfortunate that this so called man of God flubbed it on so many levels...how dare he tell this women to get an abortion. Wow, I'm offended. Then to try and clean up his act by lying. This is all together a bad situation. My question is how do you come back from that???

9:48 PM, February 23, 2011  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home