<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Friday, November 05, 2010

Slave

John has a new book coming out soon. It's on the subject of slavery in the Bible and the proper translation of the word doulos in our English translations. Here's a brief "trailer" for the book,




A couple of things to highlight:

I personally wrote on this subject for two posts addressing KJV-only apologetics. They can be found here: Part 1 and Part 2

Then, for those interested, John did do a message on this subject that can be downloaded or read: Slaves for Christ.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Dusman said...

This is one of the reasons why I like the HCSB translation; they consistently translated doulos as "slave".

8:06 AM, November 05, 2010  
Blogger DJP said...

"John."

Heh.

Just sayin'.

9:38 AM, November 05, 2010  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

I guess I am so familiar with the guy I just assume folks connect John with MacArthur.

9:40 AM, November 05, 2010  
Blogger Escovado said...

@ DJP

Heh, heh... =D

11:37 AM, November 05, 2010  
Blogger donsands said...

"Slaves, friends, sons, and joint heirs"
Astounding!

I wish I could get this deep down into my soul. Maybe I shall if I get this book and read it.

Thanks for the post.

Have a blessed and full of joy Lord's day, and weekend.

10:50 AM, November 06, 2010  
Blogger Sir Aaron said...

Ok, it's been misstranslated. But a conspiracy? That's where he better have really good evidence.

8:07 PM, November 06, 2010  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Yeah. Hinting at a conspiracy may be a bit much. I think he has in mind that translators have intentionally avoided its translation as "slave" because of all the historical baggage relating to slavery in the U.S. and the English speaking world. I think a compelling case can be made of such avoidance on the part of translators.

10:23 PM, November 06, 2010  
Blogger Sir Aaron said...

Your point is a little more reasonable. It doesn't really explain the KJV avoidance of it, but otherwise makes sense.

6:45 AM, November 07, 2010  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home