<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Monday, September 13, 2010

Jesus.org

I stumbled across this site last week. It could be that it has been around for a while and I just am now noticing: Jesus.org

The website has a Biologos feel to the design and layout, but minus all the heresy and the blubbering placations of atheists.

I was taken to the site because a facebook friend linked to some posted videos by an old Master's College teacher I know named Doug Bookman. Of all my "teachers" I have learned from over the years as a Christian, he is probably my overall favorite.

I first encountered Doug Bookman back in the fall of 92. Our singles group during that time at Grace Church had arranged to have a Q&A session with John MacArthur. Being a long time subscriber to the Grace to You lending library, I was thrilled to have an opportunity to hear John up close and personal with a group of maybe 250 folks. I arrived early with a friend who was just as equally thrilled to see John as I was and we got front row seats.

When the time came to start, the pastor of our singles group got up and announced his regret that John would not be with us because of either an illness or some other unforeseen event that I forget at the moment. At any rate, suffice it to say I was crestfallen; and when he went on to tell us that Doug Bookman, the professor of Bible at the Master's College gladly agreed to fill in for John at a moment's notice, I just rolled my eyes and made a sneering remark like, "college professor?" But when he finally spoke, for the next hour or so I sat transfixed as he surveyed the first 6 chapters of the book of Daniel. I got a copy of his lecture on tape cassette and I still have it to this day.

I soon learned he taught the Old Testament at the Logos Institute, a six-week long Bible and theology training sessions designed for laymen arranged by Grace Church. I would show up for every one he taught, sit in the back, and take extensive notes.

Bookman was legendary for his rabbit trails. Many folks deplored this aspect of his teaching style because he would deviate from the written notes and monologue for 30 minutes sometimes on unrelated subjects. Such things as the various ways scholars date the Exodus or the theocratic anointing in the OT or the function of the Urim and Thummin in the OT kingdom, a subject he studied for his dissertation.

I remember once we were studying through 1 Samuel. He was talking about the office of the OT prophets, explained how similar characteristics that marked the OT prophets also mark the NT apostles and then as he was moving into how those marks of apostleship help determine the canonicity of the NT documents, he stops and says, "You know, Paul wrote Hebrews. And don't let anyone tell you he didn't" and proceeds to lay out a rock solid case as to why Paul wrote Hebrews and all other "candidates" as authors for the book are impossible.

Doug currently teaches at Shepherd's Theological Seminary in North Carolina. He also has a personal website, Bookman Ministries, though it is a bit scant at the moment. The life of Christ was another subject he taught well and the Jesus.org site tapped him to write up a series of short articles addressing various facets of Christ's ministry. I understand there is a rumor that Doug plans to publish a book on the life of Christ, though I think he is much more enjoyable to listen to rather than read.

He has also recorded some videos for Jesus.org, and here is one on why Jesus was crucified.

Exactly Why Was Jesus Crucified?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

The Master's College link is incorrect. I think what you want is: http://www.masters.edu/

1:44 PM, September 13, 2010  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Thanks,
I pulled it from memory. I was thinking of the seminary.

1:52 PM, September 13, 2010  
Blogger DJP said...

The website had a Biologos feel to the design and layout, but minus all the heresy and the blubbering placations of atheists

Wow, if that isn't a banner ad, I don't know what is!

"Like Biologos, but without the blubbering pander-bears!"

2:19 PM, September 13, 2010  
Blogger Rupert said...

One really does wonder what Biologos hopes to achieve. Their articles are all over the place in their variance of adherence to scripture. They want to accommodate evolutionists but retain scriptural belief. You simply can't have it both ways.

So they become a festering cesspool of inconsistencies and non-evidential propositions.

3:59 PM, September 13, 2010  
Blogger Truth Unites... and Divides said...

"he stops and says, "You know, Paul wrote Hebrews. And don't let anyone tell you he didn't" and proceeds to lay out a rock solid case as to why Paul wrote Hebrews and all other "candidates" as authors for the book are impossible."

Hi Fred,

Could you post his argument on this thread? I'd like to read it.

9:56 AM, September 14, 2010  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

I would have to dig around in my files, so I can't promise anything. A lot of his argumentation is also held by Robert Reymond, who devoted an appendix to the subject in his "New Systematic Theology."

He also drew some of his thinking from R. Laird Harris's work on canonicity.
Fred

9:59 AM, September 14, 2010  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home