Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Love and Marriage

Over the weekend, as I reflected upon 10 years of marriage with my lovely bride, I was reminded of an article I read a couple of weeks ago in which a young gal laments the growing number of single people putting off marriage. There is much wisdom with her words.

Why Marriage is Declining

Not that I am an expert on relationships by any means, but when I was single, I saw marriage as a most worthy state I wanted to obtain. It took me a bit to get myself oriented to think biblically about marriage, however. Probably the one key element lacking in the minds of many single people.

I certainly had to wake up to my sloppy, mediocre self. I got sober-minded and did away with all those single guy habits I cultivated with my 15 years of roommate living like acting goofy, wearing clothes that didn't match, and buying cheap shoes. I also had to put off all the absurd, fleshly expectations I had accumulated as a single, Christian young man for what I wanted in a wife: a Proverbs 31 Victoria's Secret model who can sing and play the piano.

And though there was much sweat and agony (mostly with the breaking of my single guy habits and expectations), God blessed me with a dear lady who has been my best friend and has brought many, many days of happiness.

My one word of exhortation to single folks: Guys and gals, pay attention to your friends.

Labels: ,


Blogger Sir Aaron said...

I didn't much care for her article but there were links to other articles I enjoyed. One such article discussed the problem of waiting so long to get married. I concur. How can we expect men and women to be abstinent through the prime childbearing years and peak years of sexual maturity? We want our kids to wait until they're married to have sex (I agree) but then have them wait until their darn near 30 (after graduating college, getting a job, etc). That's just not very realistic.

Secondly, many wait because they're selfish. I was the same. Let me please me then when I've had my fill I'll settle down.

10:30 PM, July 13, 2010  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Well, for a 25 year old, I thought she had a more sober-minded view of marriage and the problems of singleness than most folks who are 25. When I was 25, I was much like you. Though I was a Christian, I had a lot of fleshly expectations about what I wanted from God in a wife. It's almost embarrassing to even talk about it.

9:34 AM, July 14, 2010  
Blogger Sir Aaron said...

I got married when I was 25. I truly became a Christian and realized I couldn't continue in a life of fornication (and truly my life revolved around fornication). Now ten years later....two kids and a realization of how empty a life of self fulfillment really is.

10:38 AM, July 14, 2010  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home