<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Those were the Days

I have a busy rest of the week, so blogging will be below my average. To keep the home fires stoked, I ran across this interesting round up of abandoned theme parks.

8 Abandoned American Theme Parks

They forgot one, Dogpatch, USA in northwest Arkansas. One commenter under the article mentions it. We went to Dogpatch once as a family when I was a kid. A terrible, tacky place to visit. It made Silver Dollar City look like Disney Land. The day we went, their signature ride, "Lil Abner's Space Rocket" was closed for repairs. My little brother and I felt like getting a B.B. gun and going Clark Griswald on them.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Ken Abbott said...

I had to Google "Clark Griswold" to get the reference, and now I know why it was unfamiliar. Let's just say I don't care for Mr. Chase's performances or opinions. I didn't think he was particularly amusing on SNL and his subsequent career has done little to change my mind.

As to the topic at hand, the closest thing to these failed amusement parks I can recall visiting was a tourist trap called "The Desert of Maine," a huge sandpile on the Maine side of the border with New Hampshire maybe about a hundred miles north of Portsmouth.

7:07 AM, June 09, 2010  
Blogger steve said...

Now, Fred, don't go puttin' on them hifalutin' haute couture airs a-yours around these parts. We know all YECers wear overalls and eat possum stew for supper.

12:42 PM, June 09, 2010  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home