Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Hermeneutics Quiz

I was sent this quiz via an email discussion group:

The Hermeneutics Quiz

The quiz is apparently designed to help a person gauge how he interprets the Bible. Honestly, it doesn't have so much to do with hermeneutics - those principles and rules a person utilizes in order to interpret the Bible. When considered in the whole, the quiz has much more to do with how authoritative the Bible is in a person's life as a revelation from God. For example, one question asks if whether or not the commands against homosexuality are permanent prohibitions reflecting God's will or if they are defined by culture. This really has nothing to do with the application of hermeneutics as much as it has to do with how serious a person takes God's Word as authoritative in one's life when it addresses this issue. Either God prohibits homosexual sin or He doesn't.

I scored a 41, which was sort of baffling because according to Scot McKnight, the fellow who designed the quiz, anything below 52 means you are conservative and I was surprised to be so close to the 52 threshold. I guess that may have to do with how vague and weird some of the questions were. For instance, a question about adultery gives as possible responses strange things like, "it deserves death," to "death is no longer applicable because Jesus forgave an adulterous woman without killing her," to the odd response, "penalties against adultery were only relevant to the culture of Christ." If you picked the first option you are considered conservative with your hermeneutics; if you picked the other two, you are considered open minded.


How that is suppose to work as a practical way to show how a person utilizes hermeneutics is beyond me.

Any ways, see how you do.

Labels: , ,


Blogger Escovado said...

My results...

Score: 43

Evaluation: You scored between 20 and 52, meaning you're a conservative on The Hermeneutic Scale.

4:28 PM, March 20, 2010  
Blogger The Squirrel said...


Very vague questions, needs work.

6:48 PM, March 20, 2010  
Blogger P.D. Nelson said...

I scored a thirty-two and frankly I found the quiz very disturbing.

6:48 PM, March 20, 2010  
Blogger Chris Poe said...


I posted a lot more in the discussion group that first tipped me off to the quiz. (I'm thinking it's the same one to which you refer.)

I won't repost all of that here, but will just repeat what my Dad used to say when I would complain about what somebody at school said or did: "Consider the source."

9:12 PM, March 20, 2010  
Blogger bugblaster said...

41. Some questions were good. Some questions were not at all well framed.

12:24 PM, March 21, 2010  
Blogger James Kime said...

38, I am wondering to myself which issues Fred is a liberal on.


2:23 PM, March 21, 2010  
Blogger Mike Erich the Mad Theologian said...

I scored 39 and would agree:
1. This is not a test on hermeneutics but on how theologically conservative or liberal you are.
2. That some questions had nothing I could consider as a right answer, This is a bad test for anything.

7:15 PM, March 21, 2010  
Blogger keo said...

The quiz you link to does not have the adultery answers that you quote. Is there more than one quiz at different locations / is your link correct?

6:55 AM, March 22, 2010  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

It's #19.

It reads:
1. Deserves the death penalty as stated in the OT.
2. I fall somewhere between 1 and 2.
3. Was not punished by death when Jesus confronted it, and therefore death is not a Christian punishment.
4. I fall somewhere between 3 and 5.

5. And divorce were governed by OT laws from a primitive culture, very different from our own; just as these concepts developed within Bible times, our understanding of proper punishment has been improved.

The convoluted nature of this entire question, and certainly the answer for #5 demonstrates where those folks are coming from who developed this "quiz."

7:07 AM, March 22, 2010  
Blogger Escovado said...

I found a lot of the quiz to be convoluted in a politically-correct way. So, I couldn't take it serious.

7:01 PM, March 22, 2010  
Blogger Daniel said...

I scored 39.

11:02 AM, March 29, 2010  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home