Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Monday, December 14, 2009

Christian Horror

I've never heard of Perry Noble. He appears to be an up-and-coming emergent style preacher. Apparently he pastors a gigantic megachurch some where in the Carolinas. I have heard he doesn't like Bible studies and expositional preaching.

Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to investigate a particularly nasty story involving how members of Noble's New Spring church staff terrorized a fellow who has been critical of Noble's antics. Who would had thought emergent types could be as downright nasty as some of those old time Fundamentalists?

Here's the written report: Holy Rage at the Spring

The audio interview is much more intriguing, Download and Listen Here



Blogger Escovado said...

2 Peter chapter 2 kept playing over and over in my mind as I read about this Perry Noble character.

12:17 PM, December 14, 2009  
Blogger Escovado said...

Wow...the stuff in that Museum of Idolatry blog made me sick.

12:36 PM, December 14, 2009  
Blogger donsands said...

He seems quite arrogant, this Perry Noble.
I have know nastiness in the church. It really stunned me how members i knew, would turn on you, and with such hatred.

I think there can be heated debates, but in the end there should be love and forgiveness, asking and giving of both to one another.

But this goes beyond what i have ever known. Must be difficult indeed for our brother in Christ. Of course, there's always "more to the story" then we here, so I take all this with a grain of salt, as they say.

The question is, how do people in the church justify being mean and nasty?
"That's just the way I am."?

"Jesus whipped those religious phonies out of the Temple."?

I suppose we can justify just about any sin, if we want to.

3:56 PM, December 14, 2009  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

the stuff in that Museum of Idolatry blog made me sick...

(Fred) I know. It's amazing isn't it?

5:31 PM, December 14, 2009  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Don. You ought to down load the MP3s of the interview I linked, and then listen to the host review one of Noble's sermons. I have heard bad preaching in my days, but never anything like the way he twisted a passage out of 2 Kings until it squealed uncle.

5:33 PM, December 14, 2009  
Blogger Steve Lamm said...

There is a group of young church planter/pastors that have recently risen to prominence like Perry Noble and Steven Furtick who seem to believe that they personally have a special authority that must be heeded by their church members (including other elders) because they assert that God gives them the vision for that particular church.

The result of such thinking is that anyone who questions or examines their particular "vision" for the church is somehow hindering God's ministry. In effect, question the visionary leader and you are questioning God Himself!

Of course, it follows that anyone who so hinders the "vision" is hindering God and must be removed, be they staff or church members.

Just take a short look into their own writings and preaching and you will find considerable arrogance and intolerance of other believers, espeially older believers who are though to stand in the way of the church's progress.

I saw a short clip of a sermon Steven Furtick gave in which he excoriated some of the people in his congregation for requesting that he go a bit deeper with his teaching. The fact is, many of the more mature believers in these churches end up leaving because all they hear is a steady flow of spiritual milk (and some of that doctrinally sour milk to be sure).

YoTake a llook at this clip to see what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmusDcfipRA&NR=1).

When I watched this clip, it broke my heart to think that a pastor would beat up on Jesus' sheep with scch vitriol and anger. What kept coming to mind was what Jesus told Peter:"feed my sheep!"

This is not pastoral ministry, not according to the Pastoral Epistles.

Perhaps the reason such men do not proclaim the whole counsel of God and do not provide their people with the meat of the Word is because they are unable to do so. They do not have the exegetical skills to handle the deeper truths of Scripture. It's simply easier to entertain people with topical messages designed to address the felt needs of people. After all, such things do draw a crowd. Building a church of mature saints is another matter all together.

May God grant these men repentance.

6:06 PM, December 14, 2009  
Blogger donsands said...

Fred, I went and listened to this speaker, and it was too excruciating for me to keep on listening. I wish i could have listened longer, but I don't think I need to.

He is absurd. He's a manipulator for sure. And the pulpits are chock full of manipulators. Add another one to the ranks.

Thanks for posting this.

It's sad. But it's good to know and mark these guys.

6:24 PM, December 14, 2009  
Blogger Highland Host said...

I'm not sure how far Noble can be called "emergent", mind you. He seems to be more on the Megachurch-type model. It's my belief that he hasn't changed the right things. The behaviour of the sycophant, and this whole cult of personality thing seem to me to be worryingly like the Gail Riplinger style of bad fundamentalism.

11:53 PM, December 15, 2009  
Blogger Truth Unites... and Divides said...

There's a temptation for people in positions of authoritative power to abuse it. Too bad that Pastor Noble has abused his.

1:21 PM, December 17, 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home