Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Saturday, September 05, 2009

A Response to Moi

TurretinFan defends his 215 year theory for the sojourn of Israel in Egypt by offering a response to my contention that Israel's sojourn started with Jacob and his family going into Egypt in Genesis 46 and lasting 430 years.

If anyone is interested...

430 Years from the Promise: A Response to Fred Butler

I already had some additional material on this subject in the works, but I am currently moving into a new house, so you all know how that can occupy a person. I'll have a response up a while later.



Blogger Craig and Heather said...

Well Fred,
I think he made a pretty good case. Look forward to your reply.

9:09 AM, September 06, 2009  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Believe me, as much as I respect TF, it is much more rhetoric than substance. I have been asking my old Hebrew profs about the debate, and all of them agree with me against the 215 year theory. In fact, the 215 year theory is the minority viewpoint among Hebrew academics, even the liberal ones.

The two points - and really only two - going for them is Paul's words in Galatians 3:15 following, but that is easily reconciled if you include his son and grandson with him as receiving the promise, each one having the terms of the Abrahamic covenant reiterated to them by God. The last time for Jacob is Genesis 46 (Psalm 105 even suggests this as does Hebrews 11). And then the genealogies in Exodus 6. But, those are mostly stylized, something that is common through out scripture unless specific information suggests otherwise. Plus, the Chronologies for Levi's brothers, found in 1 Chronicles, has up to 6 or more generations from the entrance into the land of Egypt until the Exodus. One of them (I can't remember which) has 10. So it is not as cut and dry as TF would like it to be.

My observation is that the 215 year position tends to be favored by Covenant Theology adherents because they allow Galatians to be the overriding passage that reinterprets the previous information.

11:48 AM, September 06, 2009  
Blogger Craig and Heather said...

Is there an underlying reason in their theology for doing this? Do you think there is something they are trying to protect?


7:52 PM, September 07, 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home