<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Friday, July 10, 2009

Happy Birthday Jean Calvin

I would be amiss if I didn't mention that today was John Calvin's 500 birthday. Interestingly, 2009 also marks the 400th anniversary of Jacob Arminius's death - but that's not until October.

I have the authoritative, 2 volume Battles edition of Calvin's Institutes. I must confess that I have only read portions of them, so in the strictest sense of the word, one could say I am not a Calvinist. I would imagine R. Scott Clark would certainly say that.

But I am a Calvinist as far as the five points are concerned. Actually, that, and Calvin's commitment to expository preaching are the main things that label me "Calvinist." I would be a Baptist of the immersionist stripe, a position Calvin abhorred.

Honestly, I was a "Calvinist" before I even knew who Calvin was. No one taught me the "Calvinist" view of predestination. I didn't learn it from R.C. Sproul or John MacArthur for that matter, though John taught on election when it was discussed in the text he happened to be preaching through. I was even a Calvinist when I was holding to KJV-onlyism. Talk about a strange combination of convictions.

The first "Calvinist" writer I ever encountered was A.W. Pink, but I read him for nearly a year before I got a hold of his Sovereignty of God and learned he was a "Calvinist." My views on election were shaped all by myself from my study of scripture. Later, when I was really introduced to Calvin, I was pleased that my convictions on the matters of election, predestination, and God's sovereignty were confirmed by someone who lived so long ago.

I still marvel at the hatred Calvin stirs in the minds of his detractors. Usually the vitriol is aimed toward his views of salvation, but election and predestination was not really emphasized by Calvin in his earlier editions of his Institutes. Luther taught on the doctrine much more during his lifetime than Calvin did in his. It wasn't until much later during Calvin's ministry when he engaged Pighius, a Catholic apologist who wrote against the doctrine of predestination, that Calvin's pen was moved to write on the subject. Yet it is Calvin's views on election that draws the most fire from his theological enemies.

One of my fellow Calvinist seminary students use to forward me anti-Calvinist articles. My favorite one was written by an internet personality named "kingsknot" if my memory serves me, who claimed Stalin went to Geneva in order to read up on how John Calvin ran his brutal dictatorship. Hence, the Gulag system in Russia was really the brainchild of John Calvin.

But I figure if folks like Jimmy Swaggart, Tony Campolo, Charles Finney, and Dave Hunt have gone out of their way to decry Calvinism so loudly, I must be in good company.

So here's to 500 more years, John Calvin. Thanks for all you have done.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Yeah, I think I was a Calvinist before I really knew it. In the early 90's we were taught by a wonderful, godly man who spoke out against "easy believism," something I'd never heard a thing about. And he talked about predestination. I must be fairly thick, because I didn't realize how unpalatable Calvinism was even as recently as 2005, when a bunch of teenagers heard me say I was a Calvinist. They were shocked.

11:11 AM, July 10, 2009  
Blogger The Squirrel said...

In celebration of Calvin's birthday, I mowed my mother's lawn and painted my mother-in-law's living room.

Somehow, I think he would have approved.

~Squirrel

10:12 PM, July 10, 2009  
Blogger The Seeking Disciple said...

Hope you enjoyed Calvin's birthday and that is coming from an Arminian who enjoys your blog. Sometimes. :)

5:08 PM, July 12, 2009  
Blogger charles said...

Calvin was a Jew, a murderer and he is in Hell. Why be foolish enough to follow his teaching?

10:49 PM, July 12, 2009  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Calvin was a Jew? That's a new one. But I would imagine all Jews go to hell according to your world view, now don't they Charles.

7:25 AM, July 13, 2009  
Blogger Go Share Your Faith said...

Calvin was a Jew!!

Now THATS funny... :)

6:13 AM, July 16, 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home