<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Thursday, May 21, 2009

State Ties

I have never ever seen one episode of American Idol. The closest I came was a Conan O'Brien bit where he had the insult comic dog puppet mocking all the disheveled wanna-bes lined up for an audition somewhere. It was hilarious.

At any rate, I clicked on Drudge this morning and was surprised to learn an Arkansas native, some college aged kid from down around Conway named Kris Allen, won the American Idol last night. The entire state is in a tither. I started to wonder if I was a distant relative.

Most Arkansans who manage to make it to the stage of national recognition tend to embarrass the rest of us Arkansans by either sitting in a tree for a year or becoming a president. For those who weren't around three years or so ago, you may enjoy an article I wrote about that:

The Gallery of Infamous Arkansans

Neil and Squirrel would particularly find it amusing if they hadn't seen it already.

Anyhow, he claims to be a Christian boy. Of course, pretty much everyone in Arkansas claims to be a Christian boy. I must admit I never met to many Arkansas Hindus from Possum Grape.

Yes, if you are wondering, it's a real place.

Right outside Newport, east of Pleasant Plains.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Trent said...

Kris is a way better representation than the guy who tried to turn his power back on and electrocuted himself. I just hope we don't find out that Kris is really from Toad Suck.

8:10 AM, May 21, 2009  
Blogger The Squirrel said...

Fred, you're right, I love your "Gallery of Infamous Arkansans." Maybe someday I'll be of a mind to do the same for Montana...

To think, you knew Julia Butterfly way back when...

(o:

8:13 AM, May 21, 2009  
Blogger P.D. Nelson said...

You know Fred when you say things like "I started to wonder if I was a distant relative." your just perpetuating the myth that everyone in Arkansas is related to each other.

8:22 PM, May 21, 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home