<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Biblical Earth Day Resources

My oldest boy told me rather confidently yesterday afternoon that, "Tomorrow is Earth Day." I glanced at my wife, who shrugged her shoulders.

"Really?" I said, wondering to myself what crack pot New Ager told my son this bit of trivia, "How exactly did you know tomorrow is Earth Day?"

"Oh, it says so on the calendar. What's an earth?" Then we took a few moments to tell our son its not a holiday, we don't celebrate it, and the people who do need Jesus.

That got me thinking. Earth Day represents one of the major cultural worldviews Christians have to engage these days during their daily lives. In fact, some have to confront it at their own churches. In my opinion, environmentalism is one of the most diabolical worldviews we have to engage, because the true ruination of environmentalism is felt in poor, third world countries where environmental advocates who have a romantic fixation with "peasant life" insist these poor countries not develop their infrastructure like electricity and water because it will "destroy the pristine environment." So instead of building a much needed hydro-electric dam, or even a nuclear reactor to bring third world countries into the first world, they are left to toil in the dark, dependent upon worthless solar panels and burning cow manure for fuel.

Though I am a conservationist and believe Christians should be good stewards of the world God has created, it was meant to be exploited and used by mankind, not turned into a shrine for worship. So with that in mind, I thought I would provide some quick resources to help arm Christians as to a proper, biblical response to Earth Day.

A brief article by John MacArthur: Do we have a responsibility to care for the environment?

A longer message John gave specifically addressing environmentalism and the global warming hoax. The End of the Universe, Part 2

Before his death, Michael Crichton became one of the most outspoken critics of global warming and man-made climate change. He devoted a number of speeches on the subject that are outstanding. He was not a Christian as far as I know, but his notoriety as a popular novelist and Hollywood player gave his message a platform lesser known folks could never gain.

His most notable speech, and probably the one that earned him the reputation as being a global warming critic, was one he gave at Cal Tech in Pasadena back in 2003,

Aliens Cause Global Warming

Others are located at his speech page on his website. One other good one is a speech detailing the history of Yellowstone National Park and how well intentioned environmentalists made some rather spectacular mistakes messing up the ecosystem assuming they could save the park to exist in a certain way.

Complexity Theory and Environmental Management

And then lastly, a series of articles accessible at Answers in Genesis on Global Warming.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger donsands said...

I guess I need to go hug a tree today.

Thanks for the great post. And links. I need some good stuff to speak out against this crazy global warming hoax.

The people that believe this craziness, and especially Al Gore, remind me of people who believe WWF is real. Well, maybe not that looney, but close.

7:09 AM, April 22, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

Yesterday, I mentioned something regarding Earth Day to my friends about building third world infrastructure as opposed to hugging trees. I'm glad someone agrees with me.

12:17 PM, April 22, 2009  
Blogger Matt Gumm said...

Don Sands: you leave the WWF out of this, you hear?

Fred: I hadn't realized that Michael Crichton was a global warming critic. That is indeed interesting.

I'm glad you focused on the implications of Earth Day for the whole world, and not just here.

1:15 PM, April 22, 2009  
Blogger donsands said...

Alright I'll leave the WWF out, how about the WWE Friday Night SmackDown then.

Actually, I'm sure about all these WWF's, WWWF's, & WWE's and wrestling stuff, though I loved it when I was a kid.

I guess that's for another blog and another time.

1:33 PM, April 22, 2009  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Crichton has some really good stuff on the subject. His novel, State of Fear, was a techno-thriller about radical environmentalists wishing to create a series of manufactured "natural" disasters, so they could push through their global warming agenda. It is the only novel I have read that is footnoted and has a series of non-fictional appendices.

(be warned that it has some steamy stuff throughout the story in case anyone is interested in reading it).

1:43 PM, April 22, 2009  
Blogger Daniel said...

Though I am a conservationist and believe Christians should be good stewards of the world God has created, it was meant to be exploited and used by mankind, not turned into a shrine for worship.That was quite well said. I may have to use that word for word in several conversations today...

Thanks.

8:01 AM, April 23, 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home