<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Khaaannnn!

It's worse than that, he's dead Jim.

Actor Ricardo Montalban died yesterday. The folks at IMBD didn't waste a moment changing his bio status either.

Scott McClare has a glowing obituary of the man and his career.

I rarely note the passing of Hollywood celebrities, but two things about Montalban struck me.

He was the one famous person I knew as a kid who shared my birthday of November 25th. I thought that was cool. I knew him primarily from his roles from Fantasy Island and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. So when I would read the entertainment section of the newspaper for that week in November, I always looked for his name.

Additionally, and most powerful, is his 63 years of marriage to the same gal.

63 years is a life time in itself. Even among my senior saint volunteers I work with weekly are there maybe 2 or 3 couples who have been married 60 years or more. Even more rare are those Hollywood celebrities who can boast such an praiseworthy accomplishment. That to me is something.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger fredsgirl said...

Well babe, think you'll live to be 95? ;)

2:21 PM, January 15, 2009  
Blogger donsands said...

63 years! It feels good to hear that. Thanks for sharing it.

Star Trek II was a classic. Especially those things they put into their ears.

6:37 AM, January 16, 2009  
Blogger Daniel said...

A life long Catholic, Pope John Paul II made him a Knight Commander of St. Gregory the Great.

The one thing I remember from my Catholic upbringing was the idea that divorce was not an option.

10:44 AM, January 16, 2009  
Blogger donsands said...

There are a lot of Catholics who get divorced Daniel. My parents did. My father was very dedicated to being a Catholic. He was very much into Catholic schools, church, and the whole nine yards, but this religion didn't help him from becoming an adulterer, and a divorce from my Mom, some 37 years ago.

11:23 AM, January 16, 2009  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Well, Montalban was from Mexico, and there we have a much more different perspective on Catholicism than what we have here in the US. In fact, I would argue that Hispanics take their Catholicism much more seriously and are probably closer to the true expression of Catholicism than most practicing Americans.

I have yet to read, however, that Montalban's Catholicism was the catalyst of his commitment to his wife. Though I am sure it has a lot to do with it, he could just be an honorable man who truly loved his wife.

Fred

11:32 AM, January 16, 2009  
Blogger Daniel said...

I am sure catholicism had some help in the matter, but as Don points out, it isn't the be all end all.

8:29 PM, January 16, 2009  
Blogger ThirstyDavid said...

63 years in Hollywood? practically unheard of, and certainly praiseworthy.

I haven't seen The Wrath of Khan. Mantalban also played a character named Khan in Space Seed (Season 1, Episode 2 of the original Star Trek). Any connection?

4:47 PM, January 21, 2009  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Dave,
You're kidding me? The Wrath of Khan is the sequel of sorts to Space Seed. One of the best Trek feature films to date. You must go forthwith and rent it immediately.

7:00 PM, January 21, 2009  
Blogger ThirstyDavid said...

No, no kidding. I've only seen the first Star Trek movie, and that was way back. If memory serves, it was in betamax (back when VCRs cost $1000+). I'm sure I'll never be able to rent it here. Small town economies don't support big movie rental places.

9:26 PM, January 21, 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home