Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Thursday, December 18, 2008

It's beginning to look way too much like Christmas

So much for that man-made global warming thing.

Tuesday evening of this week I heard news reports on the radio that a winter storm was coming to the area and would arrive early Wednesday morning and continue throughout the day. "Winter storm" in L.A. means cold rain, with the temp dipping down to the bone chilling low 40s. If snow does fall, it is generally way north of me in the mountains right below the Mojave and maybe the mountains around my valley will have snowy tops.

By midday on Wednesday, two of our major freeways were closed northbound out of my valley because of heavy snowfall and wisps of snowflakes were blowing in the gusts of wind around where I live. I had to pick up my mother at the Burbank airport and it was snowing really good through the pass over into the San Fernando valley. My children thought that was a delight, though it took them a few minutes to see the snowflakes in the air rather than on the ground.

To give you a picture of what I mean, here are a couple of news photo I snagged off the internet. both of these areas are about 10 miles or so up the freeway from where I live.

My mother had left cold, icy conditions in Arkansas thinking she would be in much warmer weather. She was sorely disappointed. I guess this is as close as I will get to living in Canada, or maybe New England, or even Alaska, where people have to deal with this stuff, like, every day for 10 months.



Blogger P.D. Nelson said...

Dear Fred here in the Pacific Northwest its snowed eighteen inches where I live. The official level was 12.5 inches in a 24 hour period, close to the 13 inch record of a previous year.

Sorry to read of your Mother's disappointment, my own Mother moved to Arizona for the same reason but my sister told me that even there it can snow.

I guess we'll just have to use more fluorocarbons to make those global warmists dreams come true.

Tongue firmly in cheek,

9:24 AM, December 18, 2008  
Blogger donsands said...

Cool beans.

Las Vegas, I think, had eight inches of snow.

Global warming drives me crazy. It's like evolution. If you deny it, then people look at you like you're a lunatic, or a stupid religious fanatic.

I remember hearing those incredibly smart Hollywood movie stars say this sort of thing about Sarah Palin.

11:23 AM, December 18, 2008  
Blogger Carl said...

Maybe it'll snow here in Tallahassee this season. The last time we had decent snow (at least decent for Florida) was back in 1989. They ended up closing I-10 from Tallahassee all the way to New Orleans only a few hours after we finished our drive from Tallahassee to my inlaws' home in Gulfport, Mississippi.

4:59 PM, December 18, 2008  
Blogger Bob Hayton said...

Well, it's snowing more than normal up here in Minneapolis, too. This is by far the snowiest December I've seen in my 5 Decembers living here.

3-5" more expected tonight....

Fun to see white stuff in L.A. though.

BTW, Fred. Do you remember Steve Lonetti? He is planting a church here in St. Paul sponsored by our church (Bethlehem Baptist). Since we live in St. Paul, we are planning on joining the church plant. Steve was on staff at GCC in the late 90s, I believe.

Merry Christmas (& Happy Snowfalls),

Bob Hayton

6:57 PM, December 18, 2008  
Blogger bugblaster said...

Fred, it looks like you got a nice light dusting. Take your kids tobogganing.

8:43 PM, December 18, 2008  
Blogger MSC said...

This is child's play. We've had about 20 inches and still counting in SW Colorado over the last several days. Last Janurary we had a total of 7 feet for the month. And we aren't even where Colorado gets the most snow.

After snow management issues are taken care of - I love it! Eat your heart out Al Gore!

11:29 PM, December 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home