<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Monday, November 03, 2008

Fred's Cali-e-ah-forn-yah Voter Guide 2008

I plan to keep this on the top of the page for 24 hours or so because of the timeliness of the material. Again, my apologies to you non-Yankee readers.

A friend asked me about putting together a voting guide. Not that I am the epitome of political analysis or anything, but I thought, "Sure, why not?" I mean, this is like one of the most worldview shaking elections I think I have ever experienced in all of my 15 plus years of being somewhat politically aware. In a way, it is no understatement to say the fate of western society hangs in the balance.

I realize this post may be of absolutely no relevance to those readers living outside the state of Cali-e-ah-forn-yah, as our governor says. This certainly is an irrelevant post for people like Neil who lives in Canada, eh. So I apologize in advance if you are living in, like Perth, Australia. Neil, you are free to leave one ridiculing comment.

So, with those opening remarks, grab your voter guide:

President and Vice President: John McCain and Sarah Palin. Of course, I live in one of the most leftist states in the union, so Obama already has this place tied up, so my vote is worthless. I might as well have some fun, though, and vote for a candidate representing one of those loosertarian third parties. Maybe I will punch my ticket for Cynthia McKinney or perhaps Bob Barr.

These next ones are only relevant for those in my immediate region of the state, so if you live in San Diego, then your on your own:

U.S. Representative, 25th District: Howard P. "Buck" McKeon. Not only is he a Republican, but he has a nick name.

State Senator, 17th District: George Runner

Member of the State Assembly: Cameron Smyth
Smyth's opponent appears to be one of those mannish looking, warmed over hippy women who likes to give finger wagging lectures as to how I am messing up the environment and how insensitive I am to "gays." All of her 4 supporters waving signs out on the street corner on Sunday afternoon also have this look to them. They make me want to vote even more for pretty boy Smyth.

Now the next section is the judicial section. The judges are often difficult to figure out; yet, picking a judge is probably one of the more important picks a person will make, because their opinions from the bench could have significant impact on the community. However, the judges are probably the most neglected choice a voter will make. That is because information about the persons running for judge is usually hard to come by so if anyone really wants to make an informed choice in voting for a judge candidate, he or she has to go digging around, and even if you make the effort to dig around, there may not be any defining information to help make a good selection.

I consulted two separate conservative voter guides and even they disagreed with each other.

The only ones the did agree upon were, Hilleri Grossman Merritt, office 72; Michael J. O'Gara, office 94; and Michael V Jesic of office 154. The other two offices, offices 82 and 84 were split. I am taking it that either one running would do an okay job.

Now we come down to the biggies.

State Measures

1A, SAFE, RELIABLE HIGH-SPEED PASSENGER TRAIN BOND ACT: NO
The explanation of this measure sounds all great. Building a network of high-speed trains that free up our already clogged freeways. I happen to like public transportation. Even more so now that I have been riding on my community's bus system the last few months. But, I am voting no because the state of California has a notorious track record of claiming to delegate bond funds to these kinds of needed projects, but the money gets funneled to some other unneeded project like bailing out the incompetent decisions the Demos made in Sacramento.


2, STANDARDS FOR CONFINING FARM ANIMALS: NO
I know this is suppose to help all the fuzzy animals, but I am dubious of PETA leaning humane groups.


3, CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL BOND ACT: NO
We have to save the children!!! Bond means increased taxes, and even if this particular measure is "an investment in our children," the folks in charge need to spend the money they got in 2004 from a similar measure first before they beg me for more.


4, WAITING PERIOD AND PARENTAL NOTIFICATION BEFORE TERMINATION OF MINOR'S PREGNANCY: YES
This should have been a law 20 years ago. Better late than never.

5, NONVIOLENT DRUG OFFENSES, SENTENCING, PAROLE, AND REHABILITATION: NO
One of those snaky measures that lets criminal potheads out early.

6, POLICE AND LAW ENFORCEMENT FUNDING. CRIMINAL PENALTIES: YES
The only extra taxes I am willing to pay is to law enforcement. Hopefully it will be spent competently. That is a big "hope."

7, RENEWABLE ENERGY GENERATION: NO
I know the hippy culture in America live in a delusion fantasy world where they think we are just a few years away from flying in George Jettson like cars that run on banana peels if we only spend the money to research the technology, but we must face reality.

8, ELIMINATES RIGHT OF SAME-SEX COUPLES TO MARRY: YES
I am not the least bit ashamed to say I want to eliminate the rights of homosexuals to "marry" each other.

9, CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM, VICTIMS' RIGHTS, PAROLE INITIATIVE: YES
Basically, the measure provides victims of crime the ability to have more input with criminal sentencing.


10, ALTERNATIVE FUEL VEHICLES AND RENEWABLE ENERGY: NO
Another one of those enviro-wacko ideas that penalizes me for not driving a battery powered Yugo.


11, REDISTRICTING INITIATIVE: NO
I am getting conflicting information from conservative sources as to how to vote for this measure. The idea is good: redrawing the district lines so as to up root entrenched career politicians, Republican and Democrat, who are horribly incompetent. The differing opinions I am reading about this measure makes me want to vote no, so I am sticking to that vote unless I have some compelling information convincing me otherwise. (Leave them in the comments if you will).


12, VETERANS' BOND ACT OF 2008: NO
Even though I appreciate our military veterans, a billion dollar bond initiative in a state that is horrendously in debt is not the wisest thing at the moment.

County Measure R. At this point, I am voting "NO." Again, city officials here in LA have a track record of funneling funds from measures like this to help pay off wacky projects.

As for the district board of directors, like the Castaic Lake Water Agency, you are on your own. One rule of thumb: Look for boring competence. I want a normal person who is boring, but knows what he is doing.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Fred, are you unaware of the Constitution Party candidate, Chuck Baldwin, or are you deliberately ignoring him? While I share your sentiments that this is a major election, I believe that McCain is better than Obama by about the width of a hair. If you'd like, I can lay out the list of reasons why McCain is a RINO. The Constitution Party is running a candidate with a platform that is both Biblical and Constitutional. How a Christian could not even consider him is beyond me.

7:49 AM, October 30, 2008  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Chris (profile not available),
I didn't mention Chuck Baldwin, because he is not listed as an option on my sample ballet. At least not that I can see. And McCain is not my favorite pick, either. Though I think you are exaggerating his similarities with Barry. Barry is a marxist radical, McCain may be just a bit more liberal than we like, but he doesn't wish to change the very fabric of American politics in any fashion like Barry and his friends.

As for voting a third party, such is a waste of my vote and I refuse to vote purely for masturbatory reasons. Which is what voting for a third party is. If Chuck is serious about getting his ideas in the mainstream he has to work within a two party system and that is just they way it is. Michael Medved has a lot of insight as to how worthless third parties are in the American political process and I happen to be persuaded by his arguments.

Fred

11:51 AM, October 30, 2008  
Blogger Chris said...

Fred,
I really don't think you are familiar enough with McCain to realize how true my statements are. Also, read Ron Paul's insight on how voting for either party is virtually worthless. Chuck Baldwin's argument (while admittedly biased)is spot on also. I'd rather listen to the passionate arguments of two principled Godly men than the ravings of a non-believing Zionist such as Medved.

1:37 PM, October 30, 2008  
Blogger Chris said...

Fred - your comment that McCain doesn't want to change the very fabric of American politics is rather myopic. McCain is an advocate for the amnesty of 10-15 million illegal aliens. That won't change the American fabric of politics? Are you kidding? His McCain-Feingold bill didn't change the fabric of American politics? His support for unending war in the Middle East hasn't cost the taxpayer $1 Trillion dollars that our great-great-great grandchildren will be paying? I think you need to do your Biblical duty and vote for the man who upholds Biblical & Constitutional principles and leave the results to the Lord.

1:43 PM, October 30, 2008  
Blogger Ebeth said...

Fred, Thanks for taking the time to not only present your suggestions/preferences, but also proving explanations for them.

10:56 AM, October 31, 2008  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Hey Chris, see
here

8:43 AM, November 03, 2008  
Blogger bugblaster said...

When it comes to obsolete yet extant hindrances to actual democracy, your electoral college system takes the prize. Yet there is no serious talk of tossing it. Quite mysterious.

Is that ridiculing enough for you?

11:30 AM, November 03, 2008  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Ahhh,
Like a breath of fresh air brother.

11:32 AM, November 03, 2008  
Blogger Nathan said...

BB:

The reason we still have the electoral college hanging around is that we're (theoretically, anyway) a republic, not a democracy. We're the United States of America, not the United People of America. Under the present electoral college system, the State of North Dakota (for example) has a far more significant voice than would the people and sheep of North Dakota combined.

The theory is that going to a straight democratic process would dilute the influence of the smallest and least populous states, leading to a nation ruled by California, Texas, and the Eastern Megapolis. Candidates for president could concentrate on the most populous cities and forget about the flyover states.

The funny thing is that the electoral college usually yields the same results as a popular vote count. There are some interesting exceptions; for example, without it, we would have inaugurated President Gore in 2001, and Ross Perot would have taken enough votes to throw the 1992 election into the House of Representatives. But, generally, the electoral college parallels the results of the popular vote while forcing presidential candidates to pay attention to all those states between California and New York.

In that respect, it's a good system.

11:45 AM, November 07, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home