<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Uppity, Evangelical Women

I only know Voddie Baucham by reputation. I know he speaks occasionally with Answers in Genesis and some of the restless, young Calvinist-T4G crowd like him.

Since watching this clip, my interest has been stirred.

I can't say I totally agree with him that women should not work outside the home, and I certainly would not say the Bible forbids them from serving in any elected office.

However, when the host and this other evangelical Palin supporter begin misapplying scripture to justify mild, evangelical feminism, Baucham champions biblical authority with style, grace, and tenacity.




ht: challies

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Yes, he did an excellent job of dismissing Feinberg's comment about Ephesians 5.

Not really impressed with Feinberg.

8:22 AM, September 10, 2008  
Blogger Daniel said...

In Baucham's Blog post from August 30th he makes some good points, worth considering, and I think these articulate a concern that any intellectually honest, biblical evangelical (who is evaluating Palin as a candidate through the lens of their faith) ought to consider.

In summary, for those who may read my comment, but can't be bothered to read the linked article, Baucham argues that while Palin is definitely pro-life, her present and possible future vocation demonstrate that she is not pro-family.

I didn't get the idea that Baucham was actually suggesting that it was unbiblical for married women to work outside the home - though it seemed the interviewer was framing it that way.

9:32 AM, September 10, 2008  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

I would still disagree with his assessment. I don't think her VP nomination makes her "not pro-family."

His blog article which I believe is passionately written is not necessarily supported biblically (and I say that as someone who admired his stand for biblical authority in that CNN clip). He cites a few passages about headship, but I have seen nothing to suggest she is usurping her husband's headship. Nor do I see anything to suggest her husband and family will suffer because of this job.

I certainly got the impression Voddie's article that he thinks married women should stay at home. Unless I am missing something.

Fred

11:24 AM, September 10, 2008  
Blogger ThirstyDavid said...

I was impressed with the way he refused to invest authority in anything but Scripture. It reminded me of MacArthur's Larry King appearances.

5:38 PM, September 13, 2008  
Blogger DJP said...

I very much agreed with and appreciated Baucham's principles.

Not so much his conclusions.

5:54 AM, September 15, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home