Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Thursday, September 04, 2008

Palin: The Day After

I watched the Sarah Palin speech last night with the Santa Clarita Prager discussion group in the showroom of a Saturn dealership. (I will have to explain that sometime later). At any rate, I generally like chit-chatting about politics with my friends. I certainly like reading about the subject on blogs and listening to talk radio. Rarely do I like to write on the subject with any length. But, the historic cultural moment we are witnessing unfold in our society this election year has drawn out some observations I want to share in no particular order.

= I personally believe the mainstream media and the metropolitan elite who see this gal as a trailer living redneck from the wilderness of Alaska have grossly under estimated her abilities. This could work in favor of her advantage. If her VP opponent comes in to their debate thinking he is going to slap around this uppity woman, his emasculation will be all the much more sweeter.

= I got the impression that Palin was like Barbara Billingsley with teeth and claws. Like the soccer moms I see running in my community pushing that off road baby buggy with the knobby tires.

= At the same time, she comes across feminine; not a mannish, pants suit wearing gal with a chip on her shoulder.

= I also believe her foaming enemies have grossly under estimated the ground swell of support she will gather as regular folks in middle America see them as thugs bullying a mother.

= I am amused by the paroxysms of hypocrisy that has seized the cultural leftist elite who are truly displaying what is in their hearts as they struggle to come to terms with their phony feministic values of women's rights and their lowbrow, wallowing in the mud like a pig after a truffle sexist attacks.

= One of the discussion group participants made this observation and I believe I agree with it: By choosing Sarah Palin as his running mate, John McCain demonstrates his desire to want to win this election. He knew once he became the front running Republican nominee he would be held up by disdain from true Red State conservatives. He had to show those middle America conservatives he heard them, respects them, and values their support. Taking the easy, middle road of electing Joe Lieberman would had been a disaster. Sarah Palin has energized all those doubting conservatives.

= My favorite moment from last night was not the many zingers she leveled with laser guided accuracy, but was the crowd shot of her family. Most particularly, the candid shot of her youngest daughter dutifully preening her baby brother by licking her hand and matting down his hair. Where as the snooty San Francisco and Manhattan socialities rolled their eyes at such a trashy thing for a potential VP's kid to do (while Jon-Jon's similar antics were darling), she and her family were all the more endeared to my heart, as I am sure it was for many other normal people across the country.

Labels: ,


Blogger DJP said...

Dead-center. Well-put.

2:10 PM, September 04, 2008  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Coming from someone as politically astute as you, I am honored.

2:35 PM, September 04, 2008  
Blogger Cherie said...

Oh my...you said everything I've been wanting to say, but you said it so much better than I could have. I was so proud of her! She was dignified and gracious and I think most everyone who heard her fell in love with her.

4:04 PM, September 04, 2008  
Blogger Daniel said...

And she isn't pant suit wearing and mannish... I could have choked on the giggle the truth of that thought produced.

9:43 AM, September 05, 2008  
Blogger Lauren Krysti Photography said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:13 PM, September 05, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home