Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

My Friends

My wife had a friend send her an invitation to Facebook. My wife then set up a Facebook page and before she knew it, all these new friends began inviting her to be their new friend.

I became curious.

Here, where I work, I have overheard my friends talk about Facebook and how much fun it is. So, I had my wife invite me to be her friend on Facebook, and now I have a brand new Facebook page.

Amazingly, just like what happened with my wife, I had people inviting me to be their friend. I had friends coming at me from all directions. It was like I was in 7th grade all over again, but this time without the misshapened body, acne sores, and the teenage angst; and no Wayne Head to loudly point out my misshapened body in public. This time I am popular.

I noticed a few things about Facebook. First, with meeting all these friends, it sure can eat up a lot of your time. Before a persons knows it, he or she could be on Facebook for 3 hours. My wife and I had to pull ourselves away from the computer yesterday evening, because we became so consumed with confirming our new friends, we forgot we had children. They were hungry and we had to feed them.

Also, there is an Orwellian element to Facebook. It's like the system knows your every move. When I visit my home page, there is a box in the side bar telling me everything happening currently with my click of friends. Like, "Neil just flushed the toilet," or "Neil is rocking out to Dokken," or "Neil is enjoying a fabulous episode of Manimal on TVLand."

Then there is an etiquette thing I need to nail down. Do I have to confirm everyone who wants me as a friend? I mean, I have a handful of invitations from people to be friends, but they're folks I don't know and never met in my life. I guess I could make a new friend, but the Facebook invitation to be friends presents the invitation as if this person is like a best buddy. When you receive the invitation, there is an option to confirm the friendship or ignore it. Confirming the friendship sends a little message to the person informing him or her that "Fred has confirmed your friendship" or something along those lines. But if I click ignore the friendship, will the person receive a message informing him or her that "Fred does not like you and has rejected your friendship"? I don't want to be perceived as rude or mean-spirited.

And then I noticed there are pictures of these pretty girls in my side bar sometime, but I am not sure if they want to be my friend or if they want me to send them an invitation to be friends.

My wife says I should think of them as enemies.

Well, it looks like Facebook will be another internet tool to indulge my narcissism.



Blogger bugblaster said...

If I had known it was this Fred Butler, then I would have considered somewhat more diligently before I confirmed friendship.

9:20 AM, July 08, 2008  
Blogger fredsgirl said...

I think you're confused, for it was me who had to drag you away from Facebook while we (or should I say, I) were getting the kiddies ready for bed. I think you've been exposed to too much chlorine from our multiple trips to the pool. ;)

By the way, Happy Anniversary and remember you are my BEST friend! As for those "pretty" girls, I believe Proverbs 7 will answer your questions!


11:12 AM, July 08, 2008  
Blogger Kim said...

Well, the whole "status" thing can be quite entertaining, especially with my hubby. He has lots of fun with his profile pictures, none of them which ever feature his face.

Considering the definite Orwellian undertone, I am most grateful for you accepting my friendship.

And no, don't accept everyone. I don't.

1:26 PM, July 08, 2008  
Blogger starbucksgirl said...

Freddie, you shouldn't accept everyone that wants to be your friend. I usually send a message asking if I know the person and to tell me how the person is connected to me. I've had requests from realtors, random people and once I received a request from the daughter of a friend of mine from the last church we were in when we lived in TX (she was 10 at the time I knew her; now she's 21 and wants to "be my friend)." All that to say, if you ignore the request it won't send anything to the person. If you accept the request and then later decide to delete the person from facebook it won't send them a message telling them that you deleted them. Just an FYI.... BTW, I agree with Brenda (proverbs 7 is VERY instructive). And, hello from TN. Our blog is http://the-websters.blogspot.com/ Hope my Arkansas bud is doing well. Kelly Webster (Richardson).

3:36 PM, July 08, 2008  
Blogger BarryDean said...

Hi Fred,

I am a new reader. I found your blog via "Expository Thoughts" blog.

I know what you mean about these Internet communities. Our daughter got us hooked into Myspace over a year ago and for a while it was a bit consuming. I have had friends invite me to use Facebook, but with work, blogging, family time and everything else in our lives even Myspace went by the wayside for me.

I have added you to my blogroll so I can remember to stop by from time to time. By the way could you upgrade to the openID functionality in blogger so those of us who use the superior blogging domain at wordpress can comment without creating a google account?

Thank you,

Barry @

9:33 AM, July 09, 2008  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Ah, Barry. You are talking to a computer naif. I am probably the dumbest person to ask about these sorts of upgrade things. I'll look into it.

Thanks anyway, for humbling yourself to come over here from Wordpress.


9:40 AM, July 09, 2008  
Blogger P.D. Nelson said...

You do realize that Facebook is one of the signs of the apocalypse Fred. Says so right there on Rapture Watch.

All seriousness aside I barely keep up with my blog and frankly I just feel too old to even contemplate a Facebook account. My kids would point and snicker.

8:18 PM, July 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home