Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Friday, June 06, 2008

Revive Us Again - With a Boot to the Head

This video is making the rounds on the various Christian blogs I frequent. Watch it and after you pick your jaw off the floor, I have a question to ask:

I have had some nice, sweet folks email me about the legitimacy of this man and the so-called "revival" taking place in Florida. This one couple I know in England actually have friends who spent money to fly across the pond to Florida just to sit under this man's "ministry."

I can only pray they made it back home alive.

I had never heard of Todd Bentley before in my life until a couple of weeks ago when a person living out of state emailed me about the guy. Apparently, individuals in his church think the guy is a prophet from God and if they don't get down to Florida before its too late, then the portal of God's blessing will go shut again. What is it exactly about "revivals" in Florida? And why are they so kooky? Is there some sort of heavenly vortex swirling around in that part of the world, or are people in Florida a few clowns short of a Shriner's parade?

At any rate, here's my main question and I believe it is an important one:

Where's the folks this guy has apparently "beat up" during the service?

I want to hear from the old lady kicked in the face. The little Asian guy that was tackled across the room. Is there video of any of this? There may very well be and if so, please dear readers, post a link so I can see him body slam a kid with autism, or what ever. At this point, I don't believe it because there is no evidence of his violent antics. A lady being kicked full on in the face from a 250 pound man would sustain some serious injury. There has to be an army of lawyers just salivating at the chance for suing him for bodily harm.

"I got my clavicle shattered by Todd Bentley when he healed my migraine headaches and Larry Parker got me 2.3 million dollars."

At this point - and I am willing to be proved wrong - I think this guy is lying about these folks he has pummeled in the power of the Spirit (Lying? surely not, Fred). I just don't believe he could get away with these sorts of violent antics. And knowing the way these guys are, I wouldn't be surprised if he hires a bunch of ex-wrestling goons to stand in line for "healing" just so they can fake being leg dropped by this guy and thus up the shenanigans of this whole entire spectacle.

Labels: , ,


Blogger Stan McCullars said...

Great post.

What is it exactly about "revivals" in Florida? And why are they so kooky? Is there some sort of heavenly vortex swirling around in that part of the world, or are people in Florida a few clowns short of a Shriner's parade?

I've lived in Florida for about 20 years so I'll take a shot at answering your questions.


I used to think it was the heat and humidity combined. Then I learned there are other parts of the country with similar weather but without the kooks.

We are close to the Bermuda Triangle. Perhaps there's some sort of Devil's Triangle covering the Sunshine State which sucks the common sense right of one's brain.

Then there's the Disney connection. Perhaps there are a lot of Mouseketeer rejects in the area and the stress has taken its toll.

9:43 AM, June 06, 2008  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

I could possibly see that Bermuda Triangle thing being a reasonable explanation. I mean, perhaps that is the source of the "vortex" that overcomes the discernment of otherwise sensible people. Of course, I am operating from the perspective that most folks in the general public are sensible. Its even hard to tell around here in So.Cal., too.


9:56 AM, June 06, 2008  
Blogger Stan McCullars said...

...most folks in the general public are sensible.

I strive to have such an optimistic perspective. Occasionally I'm surprised by an otherwise bright person who will fall for something like "getting kicked in the face with a combat boot." I definitely will not be asking these people to be making financial and/or healthcare decisions for me should I become incapacitated.

1:27 PM, June 06, 2008  
Blogger Kim said...

One of the teenagers at our youth group has been filling me in on this guy and his ministry, but I had not seen this.

Sounds like a football training camp run amok.

3:41 AM, June 07, 2008  
Blogger P.D. Nelson said...

Fred you might be interested in this link: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0605081spirit1.html?link=eaf

Which doesn't have anything to do with this guys ministry but does lend credence to what your saying about people suing for injuries.

6:18 AM, June 07, 2008  
Blogger Dave Van said...

I kept waiting for him to say something like: "Lord I apologize and bless the pygmies in New Guinea" or "now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are, that's funny." I guess it wasn't a Larry the Cable Guy Imitation, after all! Thought it was.

2:14 PM, June 07, 2008  
Blogger Hayden said...


This looks like the "Brownsville Revival" (which was all the rage when I got saved) meets MMA or UFC. Look you can get healed and see a really good fight at the same time. Stepping into the cage, weighing 250 lbs, the healing heretic Todd Bentley.... and in this corner, weighing in at 125 lb, Grandma Mae...

7:18 AM, June 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home