Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

You Ain't It

I saw this article linked at Drudge yesterday:

Tag Banned at School

In case the WaPo article slips into their subscription archives, just Google "School Bans Tag" and you will get a ton of hits.

Before I even read the article I would had bet a slice of Costco cheese pizza that the brainiac behind this prohibition was one of this hand-wringing women supervisors who wants to protect all children from the pain suffered by the trials and hardships of life. And guess what? As soon as I clicked the link I read about principal Robyn Hooker. Unless this is one of those rare instances in which "Robyn" is a guy's name.

All of her sycophantic supporters in the administration are hysterical women, too. There's a Geri and a Stephanie both enthusiastically applauding the bold actions taken by Ms. Robyn.

The reason for outlawing tag, "it had become a game of intense aggression." People were getting hurt.

Where were these folks when I was in grade school? I can still recall with vivid memory the time Matt Wentz, at least a 90 pound second grader, plowed into me when we were playing tag. I was hit so hard I lunged to the ground and scrapped my face across the freshly paved asphalt. The searing pain. I sported a runny scab on the right side of my face for at least 3 weeks. Yet in spite of having come close to enduring skin grafts, I think I was outside playing tag the very next day. The same with dodge ball, which is systematically being eliminated from schools every new year. Sure I was covered with stinging, red welts all afternoon, but dodge ball was and still is in my opinion, one of the greatest games imaginable. See here for example.

If you hit the WaPo link above, make sure to read the comments. They're great. Though there is one person who supports Ms. Robyn who suggests tag is a gateway activity for gang violence, spousal abuse, and killing. It is a playground full of mini-O.J.s. I bet President Bush played tag when he was a kid, too.



Blogger Ken Abbott said...

The well-intentioned folks behind all these new rules intending to scrub risk from childhood (and thereby life from childhood) labor under a mistaken anthropology. They really seem to believe in the basic goodness of people and their ultimate perfectibility by education and social conditioning. If we simply make childhood a risk-free, non-threatening, free (!), and enriched experience we will produce a generation that itself will go on to create utopia.

They can't be students of history, however, for history teaches a very different lesson. So they're basically naive optimists who are probably destined for a bitter, disillusioned old age, provided they survive Junior's access to expedient "health care" on their behalf.

1:44 PM, April 16, 2008  
Blogger Reformed Gary said...

How do you know you're a Presuppositionalist?

You read 'Tag Banned at School' and your first thought is Transcendental Argument for God and not the kids game.

Oh well the Expelled post probably had the idealogical side of school repression fresh in my mind.

7:44 AM, April 18, 2008  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

funny you should mention that, because I sort of thought the same thing when I was blogging about it.


12:34 PM, April 18, 2008  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

I have a feeling that the children will not submit though. They will find a way to play "tag." Just like every boy given a doll will turn her into a large gun or any girl given a truck will tuck it in at night. Perhaps it'll become an underground Dead Poet Society. I foresee there being support groups for children who didn't get to play tag...

5:22 PM, April 20, 2008  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

My dear wife wants everyone to know that she wrote the last post. She was accidentally logged in under my name and it looks like I posted the comment.


9:50 PM, April 20, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home