Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Friday, February 01, 2008

Spelling for Moreons

I received a kind email from a dear reader who wrote:

For the Arminian one can LOSE salvation...but for the Calvinist the fetters of sin have been LOOSED.

Man. And I wrote loose your salvation throughout the entire article. At least I was consistent.

There could be a couple of reasons for such stunningly inept word usage.

1) School House Rock never had a cartoon for the use of lose vs. loose

2) I was public schooled, not home schooled. If I had only spent countless hours memorizing obscure, antiquated words no one ever uses in normal, daily discourse. Instead I'm watching the Andy Griffith Show and the Brady Bunch on TV in my bedroom.



Blogger fredsgirl said...

I feel your pain babe! Could someone tell me a better way to remember the use of "lay" and don't use the one about an object verses a person laying/lying down - needless to say it didn't help!

9:59 AM, February 01, 2008  
Blogger threegirldad said...

There really isn't another explanation. Maybe the additional comments and examples found here will help.

6:09 PM, February 01, 2008  
Blogger P.D. Nelson said...

See Fred the solution is on the net! Grammar Girl to the rescue.

BTW as a former home school dad I used to delight in bringing in very old dictionaries and have my children learn words from them, obscure or not. It made life interesting when reading their essays.

9:25 AM, February 02, 2008  
Blogger Raulemir said...

This no is very good for you, Mr. Fred. You "blog reading level" probably get downgrade soon.

11:56 AM, February 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home