<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Seed Family Music

My family just returned from Arizona where we celebrated a pre-Thanksgiving Day Thanksgiving with my wife's side of the family.

Arizona is nice - once you get there. It's that long, tedious drive on interstate 10 across the California/Arizona desert that gets to you. Moreover, if you have kids, particularly three of them, a drive that should take a minimum of 6 hours can turn into 8 to 9 hours with all the stops and the need to set the children free to run in a park. Unfortunately, there are not that many parks with green grass for children to frolic in between Desert Palm Springs and Phoenix. We had to stop at Blythe, located exactly on the state line, and use their city park which was nice, at least a lot nicer than a rest stop in the middle of no where.

At any rate, on a long trip its important to be able to pass the time effectively. But listening to sermons can get boring for kids, radio signals only go so far before they fade out, and an adult human being can only take so much of Baby Einstein and Wiggle's DVDs before he is driven to madness.

So a good filler for us all was listening to Seeds music. Ever hear of it? These folks came to our church for a kid's concert which I didn't attend, but those who did were nuts for their music. My wife, at the recommendation of some other mothers she knows, picked up all four CDs for our kids. I was dubious when she showed me her purchase. When I think of music for kids, I am thinking Patch the Pirate or a chorus of pre-teen children singing "Only a boy named David" or something along those lines. Additionally, I am not a big CCM fan. In fact, I can barely stomach the stuff. I do like Fernando Ortega, Caedmon's Call, and some Sovereign Grace, but for the most part I listen to classical music or full on secular.

When I heard the first Seeds CD, however, I was thoroughly impressed. Not only are the songs well done, they genuinely rock. Its not Nickel Back or anything like that, but in the words of Dick Clark, "It has a nice beat and you can dance to it." The tunes are not child like at all. Children are heard on some songs, but for the most part it sounds like a band playing. Most importantly though, the songs are scripture. The Seeds folks simply take passages of scripture and write music around it; and because the songs are toe-tapping and catchy and fun to listen to, I am all the time humming Romans 6:23 and 1 Corinthians 10:31 during day. Imagine that. Learning to memorize scripture by listening to it put to song.

At this point, there are only four CDs available, but I am sure there will be more. Believe me, a person doesn't need to have kids to pick these CDs up and enjoy them. If you want some solid sounding material that is well done lyrically as well as musically, I would highly recommend getting them. Samples are available for listening on line at their website.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home