<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Happy B-Day To Me!!!!

This year my birthday falls on a Sunday, and rather than attending church, I am sitting at home with a sore throat and a sinus infection. I have been popping Tylenol like Tic-Tacs. So while I am here at home attempting to prepare for a couple of devotionals I will present this week, I thought I would indulge my narcissism and wish myself a happy birthday.

Again this year I did what I did last year: I made a trip to Pasadena to Archives Bookstore and spent nearly 2 hours or more walking among the shelves of books. I went into more extensive detail last year as to my experience which was almost identical as this years. I walked away this time with a book on sanctification by Gordon Clark, which has a good section detailing all the errant views of sanctification, a dictionary on philosophy so I could have a reference for apologetic purposes, a copy of a Qu'ran, and a volume from Lloyd-Jones' series on Ephesians.

On my way home, I also stopped to pick up a little something for my third boy whose birthday was the 24th. I first stopped by our mall, but it was so over crowded I was uncomfortable just walking through the place. I didn't find anything for him, but as I made my way to Wal-Mart I drove by our K-mart and thought I might find a gift there. I don't like going into K-mart if I can help it because it is so depressing. The building is run down, the floors are dirty, the lighting inside is dreary and even though it is bright and sunny outside, the atmosphere of the place gives off a feel like an overcast, rainy day in Kiev.

The plus, however, was no crowds of fevered shoppers. There might had been ten people in all walking around in the place, so I was able to quickly get a Fisher-Price car thingy that would provide hours of fun for a 2 year old. Of course, the 5 and 4 year old also wanted to play with it when we set it up and before we knew it, they turned into Gollum protecting his ring. My wife and I had to tell the two older boys to walk away and remind them it was their younger brother's toy. You would think as a Calvinist I would have anticipated that explosion in their sin nature. Geesh.

By dinner time, my sore throat and sinus infection was starting to come on, but I still wanted to end the evening with a visit to Vincenzo's pizza for a pepperoni and pineapple pizza. Their pizza is fabulous even with a sore throat. We capped that time off with a bit of ice cream back at home and I retired early for bed. Being sick was a bit of a bummer, but over all it was a good 39th birthday.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger J. Brian McKillop said...

Happy Birthday Fred!

12:04 PM, November 25, 2007  
Blogger David said...

Happy Birthday Fred!

I am spending your birthday in like fashion..sick in bed.

Oh, well..you know what they say about imitation and flattery! Ha Ha

--David Lee

12:35 PM, November 25, 2007  
Blogger Kim said...

Happy Birthday, Fred!!

I hope you feel 100% better soon!

12:39 PM, November 25, 2007  
Blogger P.D. Nelson said...

Felicitations on the anniversary of your natal day!

And yes I pulled out my thesaurus for that one. I hope you feel better soon.

Pete

6:18 PM, November 25, 2007  
Blogger Ebeth said...

Hope you are well enough to deliver the devotionals to us this week. They are always profitable.

3:11 PM, November 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home