Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Real Skills for Real Men

Dan the man links us to a Popular Mechanics' article that lists 25 things a man should know how to do. Such things as patching a radiator hose, framing a wall, fixing a dead outlet, filleting a fish, and hooking up an HDTV. I know how to do maybe 8 or 9 of the things listed, so I guess I am not a man, or perhaps only impersonating one.

But then Dan asks the Teampyro readers what biblical list of traits should a real man have. Well, speaking theoretically, humility, long-suffering, loving his family, etc., but those are given if you are a believer. How do we flesh out those ideas practically?

Here's my list of 12 items I thought of off the top of my head, in no particular order, and with great risk of being called to account by my wife:

1) Wash dishes
2) Do a load of laundry (you also should know how to separate the clothes)
3) Make a bed
4) Change a diaper, and not just the ones with pee.
5) Feed a baby at 2 in the morning.
6) Fix dinner.
7) Make breakfast on Saturdays.
8) Plan a date night that involves more than just "seeing a movie."
9) Water plants.
10) Set the table.
11) Use utensils in the proper etiquette way.
12) Baby sit more than one child under 5 at one time for more than 2 hours.


Blogger Kim said...

Very good list. Especially the cooking aspect of things.

My husband has many wonderful qualities, but he does not cook. As the boys have got older and begun to eat like horses, cooking has become more onerous, because the volume needs to be adjusted.

I would love it if my husband would cook, and cook well.

7:18 PM, October 23, 2007  
Blogger Hayden said...

Here is another one that is humorous:

Crack and ice tray and open a pesky jar :)

Keep up the good work Freddy. We are praying for all of you in the firestorm of CA.


6:29 AM, October 24, 2007  
Blogger Daniel said...

I would add "fix a chair leg, and a leaky faucet" or something like that.

8:02 AM, October 24, 2007  
Blogger P.D. Nelson said...

Use utensils in the proper way? Are you suggesting that place setting is a skill set needed by men?

Horrors! Next you'll be wanting me to fold napkins in a pleasing manner (serviette for the British/Canadian readers).

12:54 PM, October 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home