Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Sunday, October 28, 2007

More fire pictures

I mentioned in my post last Monday describing the fires burning in my hometown here in Southern California, that my neighbor -- the dear fellow who yelled out in the hearing of dozens of strangers the combination to the lock which opens the ladder to our roof access, and then proceeded to lead a large group of those strangers up the ladder to take pictures -- took nearly 200 plus images with his new, fancy telephoto lensed digital camera. He made us a CD and I copied the pictures I thought were the coolest.

Here the fire is encroaching over the top of a hill.

Here is a different hill that was being consumed. A couple of folks lost homes to this fire. Thankfully it was burning away from us.

Here's one of those super-sized water dropping helicopters. My children thrilled at seeing them fly directly over our house.

Then here is one of those giant "superscooper" planes dumping 3,000 gallons of water.

Keep in mind that all of this was taking place about 1/2 mile to a mile from our place.



Blogger Kim said...

I think I'd be pretty freaked out if this was going on in my neighborhood.

Good to know that you and the family are safe.

4:35 AM, October 28, 2007  
Blogger Ransom said...

I come from a paper town. In the summer after I graduated from high school, a pile of wood chips at the local paper mill caught fire. They had to call in water-bombing planes to help put the fire out; as a result, somewhere in my piles of musty-dusty boxes, I have a very nice picture of one of these planes flying directly over my house.

A wood-chip pile fire is actually a fairly small thing, but apparently from 20 miles away it looked like the whole town was burning. I can only imagine what it must be like in California right now (or any wildfire season, for that matter).

8:19 AM, October 29, 2007  
Blogger Ebeth said...

I wish that we had had the presence of mind to take some photos, other than of our belongings [in case we had to prove they were ours to get insurance if they had burned up]. Thanks for posting these.

12:26 PM, October 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home