Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Apologetics in Action

Me and the UFO guy

I have been sitting on this one for a while...

Opportunities to evangelize can unexpectedly occur for the Christian all the time, but not only can those opportunity be unexpected, but also unusual.

One Saturday in the late afternoon I was finishing cleaning up our mini-van. I had removed all of the interior seats, vacuumed the floor as best as I could, and I was in the process of vacuuming the seats and wrestling them back into the van.

While I was cleaning up the van, I was reviewing one of my Bible talk lectures I had given on the subject of evolution on the CD stereo. As I was fiddling with one of my kid's car seat, movement caught the corner of my eye and I turned to see a guy riding up on his bicycle next to my van. I became a tad apprehensive, because he rode right up to my van and was just sitting there on his bicycle. I began to think about those crime documentaries on A&E and how many of those unsolved murders probably began with someone strolling up to a guy vacuuming a van.

That was just for a split second and I nodded to the guy a friendly "hey," and he motioned to me that he was listening to the CD. He then asked me who it was and I said, "me." He looked surprised and said, "really?" I explained to him how I worked at a radio ministry connected to my church and because I direct about 100 volunteers a week who come to help package tapes and CDs to our donors, I have the privilege of teaching them for about 30 minutes or so. I went on to explain how the talk was part of a series of lectures I gave on the subject of evolution and ID.

As I was explaining all this, he swings his leg over his bike and reaches into his pocket. Of course, I begin to eye-ball him to watch what it was he was going to pull out of there. He retrieves a cell phone and says, "Tell me what you think of this." He proceeds to show me a video image of a round light glowing in the sky over some trees. I just asked, "What is it?" He looks around and lowers his voice a bit and says, "Every night this past week, around 2 AM or thereafter, this light hovers over the wash (big, dried-up river bed behind my condo complex). It's not a plane, turns at sharp angles, turns color; my friend has a 45 minute video of the thing. There's no doubt it's a saucer."

I replied, "You mean this thing flies over the wash right over here behind our place?"
He responds, "Listen man, I'm not crazy, I don't drink, and I don't do drugs. I'm telling you, it has been there every night this past week and I bet it will be there again tonight."
I replied again pointing, "This wash right over there?"
"Yes," he affirms.

I, of course, began wondering why beings who have the technological know-how and ability to transverse interstellar space with great speeds, or travel through wormholes to our planet, would spend their time hovering over the wash in Santa Clarita at 2 in the morning. Moreover, if they were being all stealthy about it, why would they fly saucer ships that are lit up so bright so as to be seen for miles? And why do they fly their saucers at 2:30 AM, because I never get to see these things when they make their appearance?

Anyhow, I say to the guy, "Welp, I don't believe you are crazy. In fact, I believe you are certainly seeing something fly over the wash, but why do you assume it is a flying saucer from another planet or inter-dimensional beings?"

"Because," he says rather breathlessly, "It flies like no airplane I have seen before."
I say to him, "I happen to know a few people who worked at Skunk Works, Lockheed's division that develops top-secret aircraft. They tell me there's a lot of stuff the public doesn't know about that could easily be mistaken as an other world spaceship that is really just an experimental prototype airplane."

With out even acknowledging my comment, the fellow says,

"Do you really believe we are the only life in the universe? The universe is huge, we can't be the only life."

That tends to be the big argument in favor of extra-terrestrial life: The universe is so vast, with millions upon millions of galaxies, let alone stars, that there has to be others planets out there like ours sustaining super-intelligent life. Of course, I have always wondered why these super-intelligent beings want to come to our planet and probe farmers and lumberjacks in the middle of the night. I mean, if they are here to harvest human DNA to create human/alien hybrids, why not use the better DNA? Surely Richard Dawkins would be preferable to, let's say, a trailer park manager in Arizona.

Then I replied with a statement I believe he was stunned to hear coming from a Christian:

"Yes, I do believe there are extra-terrestrials and inter-dimensional beings, but as a Bible believing Christian, I believe God has revealed to us what they are in His Word. They're demonic beings. They have the ability to move in and out of our space, can travel at high speeds, and they can and do possess the bodies of human beings."

He had a blank stare on his face, as if he had never thought of this before. He responded, "Why would the devil impersonate UFOs? What purpose is there to that?"

"Quite simple," I replied, "They wish to deceive sinful men as to the truth of their creator and the salvation he offers through His Son, Jesus Christ."

He wasn't sure what to say to that and indicated to me he had been raised in church and even made the claim he was a Christian. I tried to keep the conversation on the Lord, but he says again, "I am telling you, my friend has a video of this thing." I responded, "Why don't you guys put it up on Youtube or Google video for all the world to see? I certainly would like to see it."

He became adamant, "Oh man, I can't do that, the government will find out about it and come and get me." I thought a second, "Why would the government come and get you? Why would they even care? Are you telling me the government, who can't even track the phone calls of terrorists without raising a stink with the liberals, can trace Youtube videos back to the source so that they can arrest you for posting a video of a light hovering over the wash?"

He wasn't sure what to make of that one. I jokingly said, "You ought to get a deer rifle and take a shot at it." "No way man," he says, "I'm too afraid to do that. It would shoot back with a laser gun or something." (Interestingly, when I recounted this story later for Officer Pecadillo and the other Pyromaniac children, Officer Pec said, "Nah, Fred, you don't want to encourage a person like this to pick up fire arms." There certainly is wisdom in those words).

By this time, it was getting dark and I had to help good wife Butler put the children into bed. The fellow jumped back on his bike and says, "Well, I am not sure what it is, maybe it's not a UFO from another planet, maybe it is a demon, but there is something certainly there." Then he asks, "Do you think you will go out to see it?" I paused a moment and said, "Probably not, but maybe I will look out the window."

Believe me, for a brief second, when I turned over that night and saw the clock say 2:30 AM, I thought about putting on a pair of short pants and going outside. Then good sense and sleep overwhelmed me. I didn't even look out the window.

This is certainly an odd and humorous story to retell, but believe me, in our day and age of sci-fi culture, coupled with Darwinian evolution, a Christian will have to be ready to engage individuals like this who seriously believe life exists on other planets and is regularly visiting Earth to capture humans; that is, if they don't crash their saucers in the desert. I hope my encounter helped with some starting points to engage such a person in conversation.



Blogger Joanna Martens said...

don't mormons believe in extra-terrestrials? Maybe it was the bike...

5:58 PM, September 20, 2007  
Blogger Nathan said...

I for one am glad good sense prevailed, and that you did not walk around outside at 2:00 in the morning in a pair of short pants.

That could have spawned a lot of urban myths.

12:43 PM, September 21, 2007  
Blogger Pecadillo said...

I told you this story would make a good blog post

11:47 AM, October 16, 2007  
Blogger Peter said...

Do you think ET phoned home?

10:06 PM, September 13, 2011  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home