Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Monday, August 13, 2007

Coulter on WOTM Radio

I appreciate Ann Coulter's material for the most part, but I do believe she can be unnecessarily harsh toward her opposition. Her personality is often times getting in the way of the ideas she is putting forth and I believe that shackles her ability to communicate intellectually.

Keep in mind that Ann claims to be an evangelical Christian. Of course "evangelical" has a lot of baggage tied to as a word describing her spirituality. I mean, she wears the short, form fitting, low cut dresses with a gold cross necklace; but she makes a profession of Christian faith.

During all the interviews I have heard with her in the secular media both on the radio and seen on television, rarely, if ever, have I witnessed Ann become cowed by a nasty interviewer, or be at a loss of words with responding to a hostile detractor.

However, if you would like to hear Ann become awkwardly flummoxed, listen to Todd Friel graciously press her to share her testimony and then ask her to pretend to witness to him. The interview provides a rare insight to her "theology" if we can call it that. Especially when Todd kept asking her to explain WHY Jesus is the only way to heaven.

I hope she will go away from this interview contemplating her relationship with the Lord. It certainly will improve her writing.

Labels: ,


Blogger Matthew Christensen said...

This ought to be interesting. I certainly have had my thoughts about what she really believes. She seems at times to be so politically driven it can be hard to tell. Thanks for the link. I listen to a lot of WOMR but this one I missed.

6:19 PM, August 13, 2007  
Blogger Kent Brandenburg said...

Thanks for the link. I listened to the interview. After myself speaking individually to thousands in the last 20 years, I would leave that conversation saying that I think she might be saved. Almost everyone that says, "I've always been a Christian," I don't think is a Christian, but she rehabilitated her answer a little with his prodding. I wish he had asked a few more point blank questions: (1) Is Jesus God? (2) Is salvation a process or a point in time?

I'm curious though. You seemed to judge her dress as a basis for doubting her Christianity. Where does Scripture teach that short skirts are immodest? Just wondering. You say short. How can you say that? Swimsuits are shorter than her skirts and believers wear those all the time for activities. Right?

2:09 PM, August 14, 2007  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

I heard the interview a second time when it re-aired on a local radio station and giving it a second listen, as the conversation moved along she seemed to tighten up her understanding of Christianity, though she presented a very works oriented view of justification, perhaps from her dad's Catholicism.

As for her dress. I don't judge a person's salvation solely based upon his or her dress. Christians should want to be modest in how the present themselves. With Ann, over the years I have witnessed her public involvement with interviews and speeches, she attempts to exude a "sexuality" that gives people the impression that conservative women can be hot and sexy. I find this a bit uncomfortable and it has gotten her due criticism from her opponents.

Compare her dress to that of other conservative "vixens" like Michelle Malkin and Laura Ingraham who both dress towards the modest end when they make the news show rounds. I don't think Ann's low cut dresses are necessarily a sign of her lack of spirituality. It probably falls more into the realm of being discipled.


5:35 AM, August 15, 2007  
Blogger Kent Brandenburg said...

I was really wondering, because I want to know how people from you point-of-view think, whether you thought there was a point when a dress was too short. Whether that could be judged. I think that dress can be criteria for judging sanctification, which comes out of justification. The strange woman wears the attire of a harlot. Is a women's swim suit immodest, manifesting her full thigh. Or is this all subjective?

11:19 AM, August 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home