Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Tagging Myself

I saw an interesting tag over at the lovely and gracious Kim's blog. I figured no one would tag me with it any time soon, so I thought I would just tag myself. The subject matter is on movies, a subject I happen to like a lot and know quite a bit about and love to talk about. The tag only calls for one movie per question, but I have more than one that fits the category.

Name a movie you have seen more than 10 times.

Currently, Finding Nemo and Cars. That's because my boys insist upon watching them so much. Personally, Jaws and It's A Wonderful Life.

Name a movie you’ve seen multiple times in the theater.

"Multiple times" is rather subjective. How about more than once: Star Wars, Braveheart, Lord of the Rings.

Name an actor who would make you more inclined to see a movie.

Russell Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix, Yahoo Serious

Name an actor who would make you less likely to see a movie.

Barbara Streisand, Gweneth Paltrow

Name a movie you can and do quote from.

Gladiator - I am often using the line, "It vexes me; I'm terribly vexed."
Aliens - I tell my slow, poky children at least once a week, "Marines, we are leaving."

Name a movie musical in which you know all of the lyrics to all of the songs.

I can't say I know all the lyrics, but Fiddler on the Roof.

Name a movie you have been known to sing along with.

The Andromeda Strain

They're dead, They're dead, The town folk are dead,
What could it had been that got in their heads?

Oh my, Oh my, what can be done?
The only survivors are a colicky baby and drunken old bum.

I also have been known to sing along to the musical version of the Planet of the Apes.

Name a movie you would recommend everyone see.

Currently, The Queen. I hope to review this soon because it is outstanding.
Classically, The Cowboys, a great John Wayne flick.

And, as a bonus,
Rabbit Proof Fence tells the story of how social Darwinism devastated the Aboriginal people.
The Island is a good bio-ethics/pro-life action picture.

Name a movie you own.

Jaws, Everafter

Name an actor who launched his/her entertainment career in another medium but who has surprised you with his/her acting chops.

Arnold Schwarzzenegger use to lift weights. I think Dolph Lundgren was a nuclear engineer or something at one time.

Have you ever seen a movie in a drive-in?

Yes, several. The first time I saw Star Wars was at the Batesville drive-in which no longer exists.

Name a movie you keep meaning to see but you just haven’t gotten around to yet.

Ghostbusters 2

Ever walked out of a movie? Which one?

I have never walked out of a movie, but I did fall asleep watching Emma when I was dating my wife. She married me any ways.

Name a movie that made you cry in the theater.

What sort of crying? Full on bawling and blubbering, or weepy? I tend to get weepy. Life is Beautiful comes to mind.


Only at home. I don't like folks bringing food and eating it in the movie house. Not only is there the mess getting on the seats and on my clothes, but all the "foods," especially those eccentric ethnic foods people can get here in LA like Greek gyros and Korean roasted duck wraps, create a pungent cacophonous stench in the theater.

How often do you go to the movies (as opposed to renting them or watching them at home)?

Maybe once every three months. Having small children and the need to secure a babysitter like two weeks in advance has put the kibosh on going to the movies for my wife and me.

What's the last movie you saw in a movie theater?

Amazing Grace

What’s your favorite/preferred genre of movie?

Comedy, Sci-fi, action, thriller, drama. I reckon that covers pretty much all the major genres.

What’s the first movie you remember seeing in the theater?

The original Grizzly Adams.

What movie do you wish you had never seen?

The Blair Witch Project. A friend and myself got sucked up in the media hype with all those images of glaze-eyed and grim faced movie goers leaving the theater and testifying about it being the scariest film they had ever seen. I guess thousands of other folks were also sucked in, because there was a line around the theater for the showing we were attending. It was 90 minutes wasted I will never get back. An unbelievably disastrous film. It reminded me of those cheesy Christian movies I use to see at a youth camp that were a cautionary tale about the spiritual dangers of listening to heavy metal rock. The fake documentary made about the movie was better.

Also high on the list is Soggy Bottom U.S.A. When I was in elementary school, on the second to the last day of school before summer break, our teachers took all the students to see a movie and then spend the remainder of the day at the city park. On one occasion, I think in fifth grade, we had to endure Soggy Bottom U.S.A. Ten minutes into the film I, an easily amused 11 year-old, realized this had to possibly be the worst film ever made (Next to Jaws 3-D and 4). Not even a re-occurring flatulent blood-hound could rescue this dismal movie, and I say that as a previous 11 year-old who thought flatulent canines were funny.
As I sat there watching this abomination unfold, I was wishing I was at the park helping to set up for the afternoon cookout with those Pentecostal kids and that one JW girl whose parents wouldn't give them permission to see the movie.

What is the weirdest movie you enjoyed?

Flash Gordon - Football jock becomes an intergalactic hero who has to save the earth. "Every man, every woman, every boy, and every girl," as the theme song by Queen proclaimed. In fact, the entire soundtrack by Queen was pretty good. The Fiddler on the Roof guy was also in it.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - I saw this movie on a flight from Dallas to L.A. a few years ago. It was extremely odd, but charming. I saw the airline version, but I understand the regular version has a lot of cussing and sex talk in it.

Time Bandits - I am still not sure what it was about exactly.

What is the scariest movie you’ve seen?

Alien. This movie had everything a scare movie needs: Dark, mysterious settings, being cut off and alone, toothy eels coming out of a person's chest, creepy jump scenes. I stayed awake for two nights after seeing it.

What is the funniest movie you’ve seen?

What about Bob? and Ruthless People.



Blogger Kim said...

Oh, I forgot all about Ruthless People! That was a funny movie.

I get all teary eyed at Life is Beautiful, too. But then again, I cry at Hallmark commercials

8:03 PM, May 23, 2007  
Blogger Raulemir said...

Mr. Fred,

What? You no watch Muslim movies? What movie with Muslim theme you like?


3:46 PM, May 24, 2007  
Blogger Ebeth said...

I tried to tag you at my main blog but I suppose my readers already read you

4:49 PM, May 24, 2007  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

I liked Arnold's True Lies.


6:44 AM, May 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home