<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Our Memorial Day Outing

[I meant to post this Tuesday, but I grabbed the wrong cord for the digital camera so I couldn't up-load my pictures. Better late than never, right?]

Memorial Day is generally a quite day around my household. We sleep in later than normal (for me that is until the lazy hour of 6:30 AM), have a special breakfast, and then lay around the house doing nothing - well, at least I do nothing except maybe read and take a long nap. We have a friend who sometimes puts together a late afternoon cookout, but she hasn't done that for a few years now. Most of those cookouts have been moved to the 4th of July and Labor Day.

This year started out the same, but my wife, moved by a spirit of inspiration, decided it would be nice to build a Butler home Memorial Day memory. She fired up the internet and found out that the Glendale section of Forest Lawn cemeteries was having a Memorial Day presentation at 1 PM.

I was a bit reluctant to go because it means having to drive down the 5 freeway and get close to the Hollywood section of L.A. By the way, if it were not for my wife's adventurous spirit and ability to motivate me with her spirit, I would remain a shut-in recluse wearing loose fitting short pants all the time. So in a manner of speaking, this portion of my wife's personality is the reason the good Lord put her in my life: it keeps me personable and human.

The program had a Civil War re-enactment group doing a 21 gun salute and a canon firing. There were also a bagpipe marching group and the Mayor of Glendale read the official Presidential Memorial Day Proclamation. The event was mercifully brief and devoid of any anti-war protesting ingrates. I think there were about 300 folks or so in attendance.

First, the Civil War guys placed flowers at the entrance to a grave of a Civil War soldier. The newspaper photographer (in the tan hat) wouldn't move.














Then the squad gave off a 21 gun salute, firing their weapons three times. My kids liked the smoke.














And finally, they shot off a canon. That was especially cool. I wanted to yell out "My Carrrr!!!" but I thought it would ruin the solemnity of the moment. Plus, my wife would give me a look.















Afterwards, the Forest Lawn people invited all the attendees to the bottom of the hill for an ice cream "chipwhich" (ice cream between two chocolate chip cookies). My wife liked the church we were sitting next to, so we decided to go in and take a look. Its called the Lil' Church of the Flowers:





























After we saw the church, we loaded up the van and drove to the top of the hill where there was a museum with suits of armor and decorative hand-carved doors on display. My children were so thrilled by the exhibits that they ran around the room until I had to make them sit down. Next to the museum is a massive church called the Hall of Crucifixion and Resurrection, where there is housed the largest wood famed canvas painting in the world called of all things, The Crucifixion.

By the time we looked around the museum, our children were past their nap time and becoming insane from sleep deprivation (as was I), and when that happens, they tend to run around even more and not obey their parents (I become sullen and morose). So, in obedience with the scriptures and not wishing to provoke them to wrath, we all got in the car and went home.

It was quite a delightful time and if the Lord is willing, look forward to doing next year as well.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger thomas4881 said...

Memorial Day is generally a quite day around my household. We sleep in later than normal (for me that is until the lazy hour of 6:30 AM)

So your conscience has convicted you, Fred?(joking)

8:43 PM, May 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home