Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Monday, May 07, 2007

Mormon Cartoons

How about another video?

Neil linked me in a recent post and the context of the link had to do with me tracking down Mormon prophet, Joey Smith, and his plagiarizing the KJV text.

I am sure he probably plagiarized many things, but Neil's post stirred in my mind the great cartoon on that old Jeremiah Films documentary about Mormons, The God Makers.

If anyone has seen the documentary, or the sequel, The God Makers II, about mid-way through the two films, there's an animated historical review of the basics of Mormon theology. I am sure Mormon apologists will crybaby about how Mormonism is misrepresented in the cartoon, but still, that animated feature is fantastic. The crude, Saturday morning Hanna-Barbera animation is an absolute gem.

I was surprised to learn from the cartoon that the womanizing Elohim bears a striking resemblance to Kenny Rogers and Jesus reminds me of a 70s era Eddie Rabbit.

There is also a similar cartoon tracing the theology of Jehovah's Witnesses, but I couldn't locate it on the net. If anyone knows where I can embed a link, I'll put it up too. It's also a hoot to watch.

Labels: ,


Blogger Daniel said...

Gah - that is so sad.

12:45 PM, May 07, 2007  
Blogger Nathan said...

The best part's the creepy squeaky door at the end. "Ghost stories...weird stories...and Mormons too...!"

1:10 PM, May 07, 2007  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

I caught that too. The creaking door, and then the big *THUD* as it shut closed. Awesome.


1:16 PM, May 07, 2007  
Blogger thomas4881 said...

At a youth group I attended they played a Jehovas witness or mormon cartoon. It was so funny. They had people on another planet with space ships and some galactic battle going on. Then the survivors made it to earth to start their cult.

1:39 PM, May 07, 2007  
Blogger thomas4881 said...

nathan they have an amusing ghost show on discovery channel. Every show they always bring in a catholic or zen buddist priest to take care of the ghost.

1:42 PM, May 07, 2007  
Blogger Kim said...

This would be far funnier to me if I hadn't actually bought this hook line and sinker when I was about 17 years old.

The Mormon missionaries who taught me showed me this exact little thing and I believed it.

It's amazing what you believe when you really don't know what else to believe.

I can't believe I bought it all.

4:02 AM, May 08, 2007  
Blogger lds9999 said...

In response to the comment above mine (from kim), it's unbelievable when you say that Mormon missionaries showed you this. It was produced by an anti-Mormon group and obviously was never used in any form by Mormons themselves.

These films have been debunked time and time again. Even other critics of the Mormon Church criticize Decker's attempts to sensationalize and use half-truths. Also, the National Conference of Christians and Jews commented on this:

"The film does not fairly portray the Mormon Church, Mormon history, or Mormon belief. It makes extensive use of half-truths, faulty generalizations, sensationalism, and is not reflective of the true spirit of Mormon faith. We are of the opinion that the film relies heavily on appeals to fear, prejudice and unworthy human emotions."

10:22 PM, May 27, 2008  
Blogger Fred Butler said...


You mean to tell me I am suppose to take the word of a theological liberal organization that has no love for biblical truth to begin with?

Please, do tell, what exactly is inaccurate about the video? Do you mean to really tell me that,

Elohim wasn't a man that became a god?

There really isn't an eternal progression of gods?

There is no planet Kolob in Mormon theology?

There really weren't any Nephites and Lamanites that developed in the US before Colombus?

The Lamanites weren't turned into blacks and Indians?

That a Mormon who keeps all he needs to keep to be a perfect Mormon won't inherit his own planet and be his own god over that planet?


YOU mean to tell me that the fine folks at the Mormon Research Ministries, James White, and the Tanners are lying with all of their documentation they have?

You straighten us out now.

3:47 PM, May 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home