Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Friday, April 20, 2007

To the Heart of the Beast

I have to drive down to the Beverly Hills-Wilshire district this afternoon for an appointment with my surgeon from last year. There's nothing major happening, he just wanted to do a follow up on my neck surgery in which he removed a cancerous tumor.

The difficulty in this appointment is the drive down into the heart of LA. It is not one of my favorite things to do. The traffic is unbearable, sometimes taking me an hour to drive the surface streets just 3 miles or so.

The first time I went, I took Wilshire off the 405 freeway. Going to the Cedars-Sinai medical center was about a 45 minute drive on the surface street. Leaving the medical center and returning to the freeway was nearly an hour and 15 minutes. That is just 2 or 3 miles.

When I was in the hospital, I took La Cienega north off the 10 freeway. My drive was much quicker. Maybe just 20 minutes. That drive takes me by the famous Sinkin' Rose Italian restaurant and the grand, Larry Flynt publishing offices.

There is one funny thing about my drives down into this part of LA. Keep in mind, as you sit in traffic, high end automobiles like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mercedes, Rolls-Royce, with mega-rich drivers pass by you on all sides. Once, when I was sitting in traffic, a blonde gal pulls up next to me in sporty Rolls. She had the big diamond, gold rings on every finger wearing Tiffany bought clothes. If I recall correctly, she even had on a fur, which is unusual for the PETA supporting folks who live in this area of the world.

As I was sneaking glances at her car while trying to keep from being noticed, I see her reach up with her finger and go knuckle deep into her nostril. I was so stunned, I wasn't sure what I was looking at for just a second. Then it dawned on me: Even the super rich have to pick sometimes, just like the rest of us.

The nose pick, the great equalizer of men.

I have a cellphone camera with me this time. If I see something like this again, I'll take pictures.

Labels: ,


Blogger Verne said...

Hi Hip Fred! I travel quite a bit through several large cities. I have seen many different types of people dig for nose gold. It really puts into perspective that people are all the same on some level.

I visited your blog for the first time last night and really enjoy it.

5:36 PM, April 20, 2007  
Blogger thomas4881 said...

I hope all will be well on your check up Fred.

9:06 PM, April 20, 2007  
Blogger Raulemir said...

Yeah, yeah, Mr. Fred. Let me guess. Woman Muslim? Hoo boy. You no quit, do you?

4:15 PM, April 22, 2007  
Blogger Kim said...

The nose pick, the great equalizer of men.

LOL. Thanks for the laugh.

8:21 AM, April 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home