<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Page 123 Tag

So I was googling my name and blog title to see if I could come up with additional links not listed on Technorati and one link I found was to the Doxoblogy blog. First I am envious of the cool name. Second, it is maintained by a consortium of guys who occasionally leave comments on my blog.

The link was for a new tag and I am it.

1. Grab the book closest to you. OK, the book nearest me is an American Heritage Dictionary I used in college, so it is at least 20 years old. I don't believe a dictionary is what this tag had in mind, so let me see what else I have near me. Ahhh, here is Strunk and White's Elements of Style, but it doesn't have 123 pages. Next to it is Patricia T. O'Conner's Woe is I: The Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English.

2.Open to page 123; go down to the fourth sentence. Alright, I have done that.

3. Post the text of the following three sentences. The fourth sentence starts a new section entitled Overwriters Anonymous with in a broader chapter called Verbal Abuse which deals with the misuse of verbs.

The text is an entry for the expression "at this time."

at this time. A bit overstuffed, no? (The doctor has no openings at this time.) Why not just now? (The doctor has no openings now.)

4. Name the author and book title. Uh, I already did that under number 1. Did I mess this up?

5. Tag three people to do the same. Oh man. I have no idea. I'm thinking maybe some co-workers here at GTY. Sean, Janeanea, and Nate. I'm not sure these folks even track my blog, so I will be curious to see if they respond.

I just realized, after re-reading which books I had nearest me, that I am a spectacular geek.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy Weaver said...

Like I remind my boys when they are going to be taking tests at school, "Read the directions...twice.":-)

7:39 PM, February 07, 2007  
Blogger Peter D. Nelson said...

No Fred if you were truly a "geek" your close books like mine would be various books on how to code in programing languages or how to hack certain things.

8:15 PM, February 07, 2007  
Blogger Ransom said...

I just realized, after re-reading which books I had nearest me, that I am a spectacular geek.

You think that's bad? My style guides are within arm's reach (yes, including The Elements of Style, but my programming books are closer.

12:46 PM, February 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home