Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Friday, February 09, 2007

Bro. Cloud's Mailbox

To: David Cloud
Subject: Long hair on Jesus

Dear Bro. Cloud

I want to thank you for being one of the few men of God who stands firm against compromise in these last days of apostasy. Even when it is unpopular, you stick by your guns and speak out against heresy and are willing to separate from other so-called "brothers." Every day I am saddened to see more and more Christians falling into disobedience and compromising with the worldly ways of neo-evangelicalism and the Purpose-Driven Life philosophy.

This sort of compromising, I fear, is even starting to happen in my own independent Baptist church.

Last week at children's Sunday school, the kids were being taught about who the greatest will be in the Kingdom of God (Matthew 18:1-5) and that the greatest will be those who become like little children. As an activity, the kids were given a picture of Jesus to color. See the attached example,
When my son came home with his picture, I was shocked, because the Jesus in this picture clearly has long hair like a woman. I know the Bible states that, "if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him," (1 Corinthians 11:14) and "neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God" (Deuteronomy 22:5). This picture presents an effeminate Jesus.

I went immediately to my pastor's office to show him the picture. I explained to him how this picture gives the children of our church the wrong view of Jesus' hair, and if we allow just a little leaven of sin to creep into our church, before we would know it, our kids will be thinking homosexual thoughts.

I have to say I was a bit disappointed his reaction wasn't as strong as mine. All he said to me was that he was sorry I was offended and that he would speak to my son's Sunday school teacher. I suggested that maybe our church could get some Baptist computer software that is capable of cutting Jesus' hair to look like a man's. He told me he would look into it. By the way, do you have any recommendations?

I just pray my reproof to our pastor won't be dismissed, because my church is the only one in the county that stands firm on the KJV and speaks out against TV. I would hate to have to separate from them, but I would if it comes down to it.

Thank you Bro. Cloud for reading my email. I just wanted to let you know that apostasy and compromise can be at our own doorstep, so we must always be on guard. I am thankful there are men like you who love the old paths of Baptist truth.

God bless,
Ernest Staggs

Labels: ,


Blogger Jeremy Weaver said...

That's hilarious!

9:57 AM, February 09, 2007  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Not only is it hilarious, it is based upon a real conversation I have had.

10:00 AM, February 09, 2007  
Blogger thomas4881 said...

It would be funny to see a Jesus picture with Jesus in a 1980s style flat top hair cut! That's a funny story,lol!

2:04 PM, February 09, 2007  
Blogger Steve Weaver said...

You don't have to convince me that this letter is based on a real experience. I've had the same conversations.

2:24 PM, February 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home