<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Monday, January 22, 2007

Dinosaur Man to get Ten Years in Prison

There is a reason why I have Kent Hovind, a.k.a. "Dr. Dino," listed under my "Quack Theology" category in my side column: The man is a disgraceful embarrassment to the Christian faith. I have written about my feeling in more detail here.

I use to have him listed under my "Muddled Theology," but when I learned of his beliefs concerning the Christian ministry and the IRS, he was someone I found to be unqualified to defend the Faith.

I don't care how nice people say he is, or how many places he has spoken exposing modern day evolutionary theory, or whether or not he gives away his literature for free, if you attempt to side step the God ordained governmental laws because you have deluded yourself into believing you have a divinely stamped exemption, you deserve what you get.

That is exactly what happened. Dr. Dino received 10 years in prison for tax evasion.

I had to roll my eyes when I read the report, because after Hovind was sentenced, he allegedly broke down in tears and started ball babying that he didn't know and if it is just money the government wants he will give it to them. I can't believe it. He falls back on his unwitting supporters to bail him out of his woes. Why doesn't he use the funds from his quarter million dollar challenge? I mean, if the man agreed to pay a quarter million dollars to the first person who could provide clear and compelling evidence of increased complexity from one lesser organism to a higher organism, he was prepared to pay up. Right?

I am sorry, but God has extended to Dr. Dino many opportunities to repent and make right with the IRS. He has been carrying on with this "I'm God's missionary so I don't have to pay taxes" stick for 10 or 15 years. The IRS has confronted him many times and he simply ignores them.

Annoyingly, his fans want to make him into some martyr-victim of atheistic evolutionists who couldn't withstand the effectiveness of his creationist apologetics and their only resort was to silence him by dummying up some bogus "tax fraud" charges. Keep a few things in mind before you go out and embarrass yourself further with this line of argumentation. Both Answers in Genesis and the Discovery Institute have made significant in roads to challenging the predominant worldview of Darwinian evolution in our education system. If mean old atheists wanted anyone silenced it would be either one of these organizations. Perhaps his die-hard fans will attempt to argue that he is an easy target, but he is a self-taught amateur who relied heavily upon the work of these two other groups, especially Answers in Genesis. Dr. Dino is small fries compared to these two and doesn't command the same level of respect.

His wife, Jo, had her sentencing postponed until March 1st, 2007. She could possibly face similar jail time.

Oh, and by the way, someone may wish to contact his ministry and have them update his website. I don't believe Dr. Dino will be having any speaking engagements for a while.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger sdp said...

Fred,
I commented on him in one of your other posts. Having met the guy and following his ministry early on in my walk. I have to say again that this (his situation) really grieves me. I agree, however, with every thing you've said. He's kind of reaping what he sowed right now. I think he really could have been a help to people had he stayed away from all the 'extra-ciricular' stuff. Which is, I think, why AIG distanced themselves from him a long time ago.

9:19 AM, January 22, 2007  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Yep, it equally grieves me, because even though he seems like somewhat of a sincere guy, his embracing of many foolish ideas has severely damages what I believe is a vital apologetic issue.

Fred

9:38 AM, January 22, 2007  
Blogger thomas4881 said...

There's another case that's a little less bizarre -

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,244759,00.html

4:42 PM, January 22, 2007  
Blogger claeyborn said...

It mostly grieves me how Christians would turn around and attack Hovind for what he did. I believe he messed up, too. But, I know that you're not perfect, even if you think you are, and as long as Kent Hovind is considered a Christian brother, it's wrong for you to personally attack him on his grave mistake. How about praying for him instead, and hope that he learns from his mistake, and come back and debate again. It doesn't matter if he got his info from AiG or not. He was still an articulate and strong debater against Darwin's myth. Even though he's in prison, he still helped me get my feet moving again for the Lord. It's one thing to call an atheist a fool, and it's another to judge your Christian brother as harshly and unforgiving as you did!

9:52 PM, June 02, 2007  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Clay,
It is fairly obvious that Kent Hovind means a lot to you in your life. I praise God for that. However, I would say God's use of Hovind in your life is in spite of his character.

Additionally, my criticisms of the good "Dr. Dino" is in spite of his educational qualifications as well. Of course a person doesn't need to be trained at Harvard or Princeton to be an effective evangelist for the gospel and particularly the creation-evolution debate. But, Hovind's dishonesty with where he received his "degree" is extremely troublesome and should not be dismissed so easily.

Moreover, it is a known fact that Hovind has willfully violated tax laws regarding not for profit ministries. Several people have warned him for nearly ten years or more that he was in danger of getting fined by the IRS, not to mention embarrassing the Church, by his flagrant dismissal of federal tax laws. His arrest and trial was not persecution due to one accidental screw up by Hovind, but represents conviction of behavior that has a pattern more than a decade behind it. This unteachable, non-repentant attitude alone is enough to disqualify him as a spokesman for the faith in any serious manner.

Again, I acknowledge you may have been blessed by his ministry, but in the end, Hovind's character and attitude do more to dishonor the faith than help it.

Fred

1:18 PM, June 04, 2007  
Blogger claeyborn said...

What King David did with Bathsheba (adultery) and to Uriah (murder) wasn't a very good witness for God, either... and King David's wrongs were against God Himself. But, King David came through in the end.

Kent Hovind may not have done anything against anyone, since paying taxes was never made into law, by congress or the people. Our tax system is a volunteer tax system. Investigate, and you'll know I'm right.

I wish, that Kent Hovind paid the taxes anyway. Only because it would keep him on the circuit. Also, since you're not a mind reader, you don't know Hovind's character, attitude, or heart.

Since he was against godless lie of evolution, and his tax dollars paying for it, I don't see Hovind's action as being against God. But, evolution is against God. Who really needs to repent... society for allowing Darwin's myth to be taught without a fight, or Hovind for not want his money to fund the evolution religion?

12:05 PM, December 21, 2007  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Clay,
Did you not read what I wrote above to your first comment?

I would implore you to abandon defending this guy's sinful practices. I pray he will repent and the first thing he does when he gets out of prison is do a series of talks on why he was wrong and beg the forgiveness of those he has potentially led astray with his behavior.

Fred

8:51 AM, January 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home