Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Like the Banner?

If you are a frequent visitor here, you may have noticed my new title banner. It is the one extra addition I hope will put me in the running for Frank's wooden nickel awards for best improved blog of 2006.

One of my favorite verses in the Bible is Judges 15:8, where the Bible, the King James specifically, says how Samson smote the Philistines hip and thigh. The entire notion of someone getting beaten hip and thigh has always cracked me up. So, when I first started my blog over a year ago with "Hip and Thigh" as a name, I didn't have a picture that matched the title. Most people who think of "Hip and Thigh" are not thinking of Samson beating on some Philistines, but think more along the lines of risque humor or joint pain medication. In fact, I had at least four visitors this week alone, according to my site meter, inadvertently hitting my site in search of physical therapy and medications for hip dislocations.

I needed to dispel people's misconceptions about my blog name, so I hunted the Internet looking for pictures of Samson whipping up on some Philistines. I think I found a good one. I just love how in the picture Samson, who draws a striking resemblance to Grizzly Adams, has that one guy by the hair and is about to throttle him with a raised jaw bone. The fellow is waving his arms like he is saying, "No, don't do it!" I also like the way you have about 100 corpses piled up behind Samson with the other 900 Philistines standing in line to get their wacking. Like they're at Disney Land waiting to get on Space Mountain or something. And how about that one guy in the front with the bow and arrow about to shoot it into Samson's ear?

Anyhow, I see the picture as illustrative of how the Word of God thrashes false teaching and lame theology, which is what I want to get across with this blog. Maybe I should go back and write "Bible" across the jawbone and label each Philistine in line with a heretical name like "Unitarians," "KJV-only," "Theistic Evolution," etc. Nah, that might be a little too Peter Ruckman like.

My thanks to Will Moneymaker who helps maintain the GTY website. He did a good job of photoshopping the pictures in just a few minutes.


Blogger Peter D. Nelson said...

Excellent banner Fred I'll vote for your for one of those wooden nickels if given the chance.

7:08 AM, November 01, 2006  
Blogger Frank Martens said...

What amazes me is that Challies isn't on your "blogs I hit Daily" list :)

But then again... maybe there's a point behind that :)

6:17 PM, November 01, 2006  
Blogger Ebeth said...

I like the new look.

7:13 PM, November 01, 2006  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

I probably hit Tim's site every other day or so. I use to hit it every day, but I found I would find the stuff he linked at other places I visted first.

I also frequent Daniels site every other day or so, as well as Free St. George and a handful of others. I could switch my links around, but I am lazy and have limited time in which I am usually blogging.


8:12 PM, November 01, 2006  
Blogger Nathan said...

You need to reinsert front page functionality. I can't click on your banner anymore to be redirected to the front page.

6:51 AM, November 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home