<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Monday, November 20, 2006

About Kramer's Racist Comments

OK, this is absolutely trivial and non-theological, but hey it's a slow blogging holiday week.

I have been thinking about this alleged racial tirade by Michael Richards. Here in LA this is all the buzz. Those readers outside of So Cal, say Daniel in Winnipeg, maybe heard a 30 second sound bite thing on the radio about Kramer calling a bunch of people the "N" word.

Any ways, I say alleged racial tirade because I believe we may be witnessing something of a comedic conspiracy.

Hear me out...

I think it was a big set up. Those "hecklers" were not hecklers, but plants. Similar to the way Andy Kaufman would set up ringers in the audience and fake having a fight with them. The reason I say this is because back when Michael Richards was a nothing comedian, he worked a lot with Kaufman. In fact, he was often involved with some of his fake gags.

One case in point. There was a early 80s TV show that came on Friday nights after Nightline called, of all things, Fridays. It was ABCs version of Saturday Night Live, but on Fridays. It was filmed lived with guest hosts and sketch comedy. In one particular episode, Kaufman was the guest host and was participating in a skit with Richards. Richards supposedly did something to Kaufman and Kaufman breaks character on live TV and begins shoving Richards back and forth. A huge fist-to-cuffs fight breaks out with props being turned over, cameras getting knocked about and stage hands trying their best to break up the fight. The audience is whooping and hollering.

Later, it was revealed to be a big gag set-up with only Kaufman, Richards, and one of the producers knowing what would happen. Everyone else involved with the show was entirely caught off guard.

Fast forward 20 plus years. An out of work comedian who was given one big TV show that made him a name, only he follows this success with a string of failed movies and other projects. He's looking to re-establish his career and remembers what made Andy Kaufman such a legend.

Thus, racial tirade with a bunch of fake hecklers in a comedy club audience.

Its genius,

or Richards really has totally lost his mind.

7 Comments:

Blogger Steve P said...

Fred,
I don't know if I can post this link here, but I just read this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061121/ap_on_en_tv/michael_richards

I agreed with what you said, but after reading this, I'm not sure anymore. I think he lost it.

Thanks,
Steve

8:31 AM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

I don't dismiss your thinking. He could really be crazy and blew a gasket. We'll know for sure if he is involved with any other outrageous antics in the future.

Fred

8:51 AM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger Pickle Boy said...

If you watch his interview on Letterman from last night it will be immediately apparent that this was no plant...

http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/

11:10 AM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

I am not dying on this hill. It could be a total screw up on Richard's part, but keep in mind that Kaufman played stupid when confronted with his antics.

Fred

11:16 AM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger thomas4881 said...

I was a bit shocked but am somewhat ashamed of myself for laughing at that guy. It just seems like I've seen him on seinfeld so much his every reaction is somewhat amusing.

3:23 PM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger thomas4881 said...

I've seen a few shows on comedy central that seemed just as bad as what Kramer did. I can't hardly turn on comedy central without hearing something on the same level of disrespect towards women and races. I bet in the comedy club that night the other comdeians had very perveted acts of comedy. I know people who walked out of comedy acts because they were so filthy. So I tend to believe Fred's claim because why would this one act done by Kramer be such a big deal with all the other acts are on the same leve or worse?

9:55 AM, November 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:Its genius, or Richards really has totally lost his mind.

Or he's just an idiotic racist as would appear to be the case. . .

7:32 PM, November 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home