Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

One Book Tag

So the newest tag going around the Internet asks the question about the one book you'd... this or that or whatever.

The fine folks at Free St. George's, one of the rare blog gems that chronicles obscure Christian figures from Church history past, thought I was worthy of a tag. I feel all honored as such, but it will be difficult for me to boil my comments down to just one book. Forgive me if I offer a couple.

1. One book that changed your life (other than the Bible):

I find it amusing by how the original questioner feels the need to make sure he clarifies his question about the one book that changed your life with the comment "other than the Bible." I am guessing he doesn't want to come across as unspiritual and claiming there is some other book more life changing than the Bible. Sometimes individuals who are asked the question without the clarifying comment feel the need to feign a sense of spirituality by responding "well, other than the BIBLE" with emphasis on the word BIBLE.

But anyway, I am digressing.

I would say for me it would be A.W. Pink's The Sovereignty of God; and I would add, not that lame, truncated Banner of Truth edition that cut out all the chapters on reprobation. Read the Baker edition which is unabridged. That little book, along with a collection of Pink's articles published under the title Profiting from the Word, did more to lay a foundational view about the God who saved me and to whom I owe my servitude and devotion than any other book.

Are there better books on God's sovereignty than what Pink wrote? I am sure there is, particularly by authors who write more clearly and with a tighter grasp on the theology of Calvinism for which Pink is often criticized as warping. But Pink wrote with a passion and love that spoke to my heart through his book.

2. One book you've read more than once:

Actually, there are two I can think of off the top of my head: R.K. McGregor Wright's, No Place for sovereignty: What's Wrong with Freewill Theism, and Tolkien's works. I am currently reading The Hobbit for the 3rd or 4th time.

3. One book you'd want on a Desert Island:

I think if I were on a desert island, I wouldn't have time to read. I am sure I would be trying to hide from giant gorillas and the other prehistoric monsters that roamed the island, or maybe the undead pirates who are always looking to find human slaves to toil in the holds of their ghost ships. My attention would be devoted to surviving day-by-day, not to reading.

But hypothetically speaking, if there really was a desert island out there without monsters or undead pirates, I guess I would want to have the complete works of John Owen. That man wrote more than probably what I will read in my life time, so if I needed to read something in between catching fish and combing the beach for useful things washed up out of the ocean, Owen would occupy my attention.

4. One book that made you laugh:

There is not any one of his particular books, but the stories of P.G. Wodehouse, especially the Stanley Featherstonehaugh stories. Jerry Clower's books also crack me up; that is because I can relate.

5. One book that made you cry (or feel really sad):

More along the lines of making me feel sad, but mixed sadness because of what was accomplished and the men who did it, Stephen Ambrose, D-Day the 6th of June, 1944.

6. One book that you wish had been written:

Well, more than likely it will be written, but a solid biography on the ministry of John MacArthur. I am not talking about a 200 page popular puff piece, but an indepth, biographical study of his teaching, preaching and pastoring. Something along the lines of Iain Murray's bio on the Doctor. Not that I am comparing the ministry of MDL with Mac, but Murray did such a good job of covering with substantive depth all of the controversies Lloyd-Jones was involved with and his commitment to the truth and his subsequent impact upon the British (and world wide) church.

7. One book that you wish had never been written:

Without a doubt Gail Riplinger's deplorable book New Age Bible Versions. This woman is a false teacher and has shamed the Lord Jesus whom she claims to serve. Ironically, it was this book God used to break me from being a KJV onlyist.

8. One Book You're Currently Reading:

I usually read around 5 books or so at once, but the one I have found engaging in recent days is Richard Zacks, The Pirate Coast, about the Islamic Barbary states, European slaves and the Americans who helped to free them.

9. One Book you've been meaning to read:

They are a set of books, but I guess they can count as one: Carl Henry's God, Revelation, and Authority.

10. Now tag five people:

Assuming of course they haven't already been tagged and which case I run the risk of being redundant and looking like a groveling attention getter.

The boys of Fide-O

Brian McCrorie

Greg Linscott

Orange Chuck



Blogger pilgrim said...

I would also recommend the Baker edition of Sovereignty of God (and actually I did on my blog once upon a time.)

The extra stuff is worth working through...

7:51 PM, August 02, 2006  
Blogger C.H.H. said...

"Not that I am comparing the ministry of MDL with Mac..."

Why not? Now, I've never read Murray's book, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

9:24 PM, August 02, 2006  
Blogger zdadster said...

Interesting...It was only days ago I had mentioned to my wife that A.W. Pink's 'Profiting From The Word' was, to date, one of the best books I have ever read. In my opinion, required reading for every Christian.

1:18 PM, August 03, 2006  
Blogger Daniel said...

I seriously have to give Pink's book a read. Sounds great.

6:28 PM, August 03, 2006  
Blogger Joanna Martens said...

I love A. w. Pink. I've been woddling my way through his "our accountability to God".

I like to think of it as "light summer reading"

10:39 AM, August 04, 2006  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Accountability to God? I think that was formerally titled, Total Depravity. That is some heavy duty reading. I admire your tenacity.


1:42 PM, August 04, 2006  
Blogger Johnnie Burgess Jr said...

Accountability to God?, I think Moody renamed it so they could put out their copy of it.

4:47 PM, August 07, 2006  
Blogger Greg Linscott said...

I'm in...


8:28 PM, August 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home