Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Darwin's Cry Babies

Last week I linked over to three outstanding posts by Joe Carter of the evangelical Outpost highlighting 10 ways how Darwinian apologists for a bacteria-to-Bach style evolution shoot themselves in the foot as defenders for their own beliefs. Next to the electron microscope, Darwinian evolutionists are their own worst enemy. They argue poorly, unpersuasively, and use up their talking points mocking ID proponents and creationists. Their polemics are so bad, no one but their sycophantic colleagues takes them seriously as meaningful critics of a supernatural theistic explanation for origins.

In a race to demonstrate Carter's thesis, some atheist by the name of PZ Myers, wrote a rebuttal to Carter's ten points. Carter has written a rejoinder to Myer's rebuttal that is a worthy addendum to the previous three posts:

10 ways Darwinists help Intelligent Design: PZ Myers proves my point

One thing I do agree with PZ about: He is completely correct when he writes,

Personally, I think scientists ought to speak out more against the silliness of religion, and I'm a bit tired of the appeasers on my side who want to pretend that religion and science are fully compatible. [in a word, theistic evolutionists and some progressive creationists - Fred.] I'd reverse his complaint a little: it's hypocritical that we keep trotting out god-worshippers as spokespeople for evolution. They just aren't at all representative. A lot of the ID debunkers are godless, but we're actually under-represented relative to the proportion of atheist scientists he cites.

I couldn't have said it better.



Blogger Hiraeth said...

I read the comments you linked to, and I had to chuckle. You see, I ceased to believe in evolution before I was actually converted. I had an English teacher at 'A' Level who was a big fan of Dawkins. He was so keen to show that religion and evolution were opposed that one day I came to a point where, seeing the goodness of God, I had to reject evolution.

Only two years later, and about six months after my conversion, did I find that other people did this and were called creationists.

Seems like a world away now. They are losing ground, even here in the UK about 1/3 of schoolchildren reject evolution.

4:17 AM, August 18, 2006  
Blogger David said...

I have said it before, and I'll say it again...I thought only high school teachers believed in Darwinism..

3:36 PM, August 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home