<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Just to Clarify

In case anyone is wondering, yes, I do plan to return to both my King James series and my review and critique of Chaz, the God hating anarchist. Other things pop up in life that need my immediate attention, so unfortunately, they get shuffled around on the back burners. I have a post in the works for each subject.

In the mean time, I have received enough personal email regarding my post from a week or so ago outlining my views of child training that I needed to clarify a couple of points:

Point One: First, I never claimed that my particular methods were fool proof and one hundred percent guaranteed. A few email contacts were troubled that I was suggesting any failure in child rearing, even by the most dedicated, loving parents, is just lazy parenting in disguise. I apologize if my post came across in this manner. My primary reason for posting my article was two-fold:

1) I wished to emphasize to the Christian believers the utter seriousness with raising our children. God has given us as parents the awesome responsibility to shepherd our children in godliness. This is a responsibility we cannot blow off or take lightly, yet sadly, in our society, parents do. Children are treated as trendy accessories like a hand bag, or perhaps a new fangled robot that entertains us. Christians cannot think like the world; we must think like redeemed saints (Romans 12:1,2).

2) Even though we may be thinking biblically with raising our children, there are some areas of practicality where young parents need to be encouraged. I know for my wife and I, we had a lot of theoretical knowledge when it came to raising kids, but we lacked in our understanding in how to implement that knowledge, to move it from the theoretical to the practical. My desire was to exhort parents in the practical area.

Now, so that no one misunderstands, let me emphasize once again that I recognize that not all kids are alike and each individual child will respond to practical child rearing techniques in varying degrees. Some will be compliant and respond well with parents, while others (from the very same parents) will be hardheaded, and may ever appear to be in a sustained pattern of rebellion. My exhortation is to stick with it, don't give up. One commenter suggested I came across as having all the answers and have mastered parenting in three years. This is absurd, of course, but I do know what works and I wish to pass along that information to other like-minded believers who are in the same station of life as my wife and I with raising their babies right.

Believe me when I tell you that we don't have it all figured out and we are both constantly working to raise our kids. For example, we are wanting to train our kids to sit still for a period of time, so that we can bring them into Church. They pretty much stay still during the music and the congregational singing, but once the pastor hits the pulpit, they are turning upside down in the pew hanging their heads down under the seat. Obviously, we can't switch them in public. I can give them a little pinch on the flabby part of their underarm, but they scream out as if I cut a finger off. I believe it is rude to keep a squaling child in the room while everyone else has to suffer listening to him while contemptuously watching the mom or dad do that bouncy pacing back and forth at the rear of the class or sanctuary. Thankfully, our Church is equipped with a lovely fountain area and is located in the U.S. where there is year around good weather, so we can sit outside if need be. However, I don't want that to be the solution to a needful training point in my children's lives. We are still working on that, so we have our failings, too.

Point Two: Then one last point of clarification. I had a handful of people contact me and express alarm that I would even read the Pearl's book, To Train Up a Child, let alone recommend it to anyone as a legitimate manual on raising kids. Let me say now that my mentioning of their book as being helpful for my wife and I is not a blanket endorsement of all that the Pearl's teach. I thought I made it clear in my post that any person using the Pearl's needed to use caution and discernment to weed out their kooky ideas. However, just so I can be clear:

WARNING: Though the little book written by Michael and Debbie Pearl, To Train Up a Child, has some helpful suggestions on implementing basic training and discipline for your children, the Pearl's are theological crackpots. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND: The Pearl's teach a warmed over view of Pelagianism, the 4th century heresy which denies original sin, they are KJV only cranks, and they advocate perfectionism, the Wesleyan Arminian heresy that says a person can obtain complete and entire sanctification and sinless character in this life. CAUTION: I tell you these things so that you, the parental reader, can be aware of these false teaching and filter them out. I trust that you have that ability and leave it to your discretion to use or reject the information contained in this book. Please know that my endorsement of the practical points does not equate my endorsement of the theologically lameness as found in the Pearl's book, To Train Up a Child. If you believe you have no ability to discern, PLEASE LEAVE THE BOOK ALONE!

1 Comments:

Blogger D.J. Cimino said...

I discern that I am happy that you will continue your KJV post! :)

11:44 AM, May 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home