<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Friday, April 21, 2006

A Quiz for the Christian

I have been receiving an increase of emails from KJV onlyists attempting to set me straight about my non-KJV only views. Some of the emailers do not seem to realize I was once a KJV onlyists. It is as if they completely ignore my testimony articles I have written.

At any rate, I recently received an email from a fellow with the subject Quiz for the Christian. The question was asked, What are They?, and then the emailer proceeds to compile a long grocery list of descriptions for the Word of God as found in Psalm 119. Such things as "I keep them," "I respect them," "I hide them in my heart," etc.

After the list the emailer writes this:

For the Christian, the quiz should be easy. If you haven'’t figured it out, THEY are the words of God. After being accused of being an Idolater and having a cultish mentality regarding the words of God, I thought I would remind myself what the Bible says of itself. Please note what'’s not there,

I correct them
I find fault with them
They are subject to me
They are subject to scholars
They endure in museums
They are only reliable and preserved in Hebrew and Greek
I will choose the version that suits my taste

The Christian should always remember that God will not share his glory with another. Do I think too highly of the book, the King James Bible? No, I don't think nearly enough of it according to this. The reader should know that all these testimonies concerning the Word of God came from ONE CHAPTER, That'’s right, One chapter, Psalm 119!

I mention this email simply as an illustration of how KJV onlyist rationalize their beliefs. Note how the writer begins with the presupposition that the KJV alone IS the Word of God alone. Thus, if a person does attempt to clarify a difficult reading in the KJV by correcting it, or finds another version which does benefit his spiritual growth over the KJV, that person is said to be denying the Word of God. See how that works? Altering the KJV is equal to altering the very Word of God. In essence, to change the KJV in any way is changing the Bible. Of course, I am curious if this charge applies to those KJV pastors who during the course of their sermons, have to paraphrase or clarify or say "in other words," to some difficult old English reading in the KJV. And what about those self-defining KJV editions with the definitions of out of use English words conveniently printed in the side margins?

Some may be interested in the back and forth happening between myself and a pastor named Kent Brandenburg in the comment section of my post examining the promise argument. He is attempting to show that I am representative of an historical revisionist approach to understanding biblical preservation that was not developed until the time of B.B. Warfield. I am not convinced by the arguments he has provided, but none the less, our interchange may be helpful to some readers.

5 Comments:

Blogger Impacted Wisdom Truth said...

Of course, there are those archaisms in the KJV that pastors "re-translate" on occasion when quoting the KJV.

I am referring to that three letter word for "donkey" and the four letter word for "urine," both of which are suddenly not acceptable in public even if they are found in the KJV.

5:02 PM, April 22, 2006  
Blogger D.J. Cimino said...

I just recently discovered your blog and I am enjoying your KJO posts. Keep them comming :)

9:47 AM, April 24, 2006  
Blogger Pickle Boy said...

d.j.,
Because of your recent discovery of Fred's blog, I recently discovered your website, and discovered that you take good pictures. Keep them coming too. : )

10:52 AM, April 24, 2006  
Blogger D.J. Cimino said...

pickle boy, Thanks!

7:17 AM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger Pickle Boy said...

You're welcome.

Hi Fred.

12:40 PM, April 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home