Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Monday, February 06, 2006

Praise Report

My wife and I met with my doctor and he was pleased to report to us that he successfully removed all of the carcinoma from my neck. Even more, the suspicious lymph nodes we thought may have been cancerous came back negative. In fact, the tumor had completely surrounded some lymph nodes and even they were negative.

My wife and I are both praising the Lord for His great providence, not only sparing me from a serious bout with cancer, but also for bringing us to a doctor who is an artist when it comes to surgery on the face. Apart from post surgery numbness, I never lost any mobility in my face or mouth which was a concern for me. All of the feeling should come back in time. The only place where I will experience permanent numbness according to my doctor is on the tip of my ear lobe. I can live with that. Maybe I will get an ear ring?

I am not an animal...

One humorous note. I thought before I was released from the hospital a nurse would wrap my neck in some gauze, but nope. My doctor let me go home with my foot long stitched neck exposed and grinning wide for the world to see.

What I found to be a lot of fun was watching people in public attempt to stare at my neck without appearing as though they are staring. As I walked about in public, I would look up at folks to see them quickly averting their eyes away from my neck. They would give me a head nod and a hello and moved on feeling guilty they were caught staring.

On the day after my release, my wife and I went to lunch at one of our favorite restaurants. Being sensitive to the fact many patrons could possibly be repulsed by my neck as they ate, I did my best to keep it covered. Still, I was amused by how anyone who saw me would become transfixed upon my neck. While my wife and I were eating, we saw some acquaintances we hadn't seen for a few years. We went over to their table to say "hi" and of course, my neck was like a giant elephant in the room everyone is pretending not to notice. I finally had to break the awkward tension by explaining how I had just had an operation. The conversation picked up after that. If I had been thinking a head, I would have made up a t-shirt that said something like, "Please feel free to stare at my neck," or something along those lines.

I just would like to thank everyone who called us, or sent cards, or stopped us at church, or made us a meal, and even posted comments on my blog, who wished me well and sent their blessings. Words are difficult to express the gratitude I have felt ever since going into the hospital until this day. It is truly humbling to discover all the folks who genuinely care for me and my family. In a way, such outpouring of love is a purifying experience, because it shows me how many people my life touches. God is truly gracious by placing us the Body of Christ.

Labels: ,


Blogger Jeff M. Miller said...


I just recently found your blog, so I'm new here. I rejoice with others that the Lord has been gracious to a brother. Thank you for your service. I have already come to appreciate your critique of KJV-Onlyism, having grown up and worked in that camp until fairly recently.

May God continue to bless you and your family as you continue to do the things He blesses.

7:02 AM, February 06, 2006  
Blogger Impacted Wisdom Truth said...

Great News, Freddy. I have been checking back periodically for just such an update. Very glad to hear of this blessing.

6:30 PM, February 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home