Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Going Under the Knife

Tomorrow, I travel down into the Vanity Fair known as Beverly Hills to have my tumor cut from my neck. For those not in the know, I wrote about it here. I am suppose to arrive by 5:15 AM and the procedure is scheduled to take 4-5 hours. I vaguely remember having a hernia worked on in 4th grade. (I am sure you all can remember the heavy lifting you did as a 4th grader). I just recall how I was on the table, a guy had me count backwards from 100, I got to 96, and I was waking up in a room. I am curious to experience that again. I understand that the last thing you think about before going under is what you are thinking about when you wake up. I let you know if that is true or an urban legend.

So, I will be gone from blogging a while. I may try to post an update next Monday. In the mean time, check out the new Pyromaniac group blog - Pyromanic"s" with an "s." I called the group blog before Phil announced it officially. When he posted last Friday about something new coming, I immediately walked down the hall and asked the eldest pyromanic boy what it was. "I can't tell you," he says and I said, "I bet he is going to make a group blog, right?" His straight poker face when he responded, "I just can't say," affirmed my suspicions.

Then, LaShawn Barber has a nice obituary for Chris Penn, the brother of moonbat actor, Sean Penn. Christ Penn is most memorable as the redneck friend to Kevin Bacon's character in the 80's flick, Footloose. LaShawn stirred up all sorts of memories when she recounted going to see that movie a couple of times. I just remember it had a killer soundtrack and the message about the city kid who comes to a small farming town in Kansas (LaShawn says Texas, but if memory is serving me, I thought it was in Kansas) and challenges the Taliban-like Christian fundamentalists and their nutty rule against school dances motivated this perennial wall flower to work up the nerve to ask Lisa Thompson to slow dance.

John Lithgow played the Church of Christ minister, with a slutty "preacher's daughter," who experiences a new awakening to youth culture after Kevin Bacon cites to him a bunch of passages from the Psalms where Israel is called to dance before the Lord in worship. I think he even threw in 2 Samuel 6 when David "danced before the Lord." All of those Bible verses of course demonstrate that God sanctions secular school homecoming and prom dances. Wow, anti-Christian fundamentalist bigotry and mishandled Bible verses all in the same picture.

Well, I hope to see you all on the flip side.


Blogger Joanna Martens said...

I've had three surgeries in the past year: Appendix, finger reconstruction, and wisdom teeth. It's not so bad- you'll be fine. God Bless

4:23 PM, January 25, 2006  
Blogger Searaptor said...

Even though that was this morning I will still pray that, that went well. And I will pray for your recovery.

4:15 PM, January 26, 2006  
Blogger Nathan said...

For all you loyal hip-and-thighers, Freddy's surgery went well. I'll let him tell you the details, but rest assured he'll be back on the keyboard before too long.

9:18 AM, January 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home