<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Monday, November 28, 2005

A Whirl Wind Weekend

Right on schedule, little Noah Caedmon was born on Thanksgiving day. If I knew how to up load pictures on the computer from a cell phone camera, I would show you all what he looks like.

The entire event reminded me of a sitcom episode. Around 10:30 am on Thursday, my wife comes into the bed room where I was studying and announces, "It's time." Thankfully, I kept my wits about me and didn't drive off to the hospital in my underwear and without my wife. Once we arrived, she was quickly examined and it was determined that she was not ready. The doctor told us to come back in the evening.

My mother rushed together our Thanksgiving day meal and it was so rushed she forgot to make stuffing. All the time my wife was experiencing the on set of early labor. She would take a bite of turkey, then pause for a contraction, take another bite, pause for a contraction.

Finally, we went to the hospital by 6 pm and by 10:22, little Noah was born. His name comes from Noah, the biblical figure from Genesis, and Caedmon, the 9th century Anglo-Saxon shepherd who did early translations of the Latin Vulgate into English.

He had a touch of jaundice, a lot less than his brothers, but the doctor wanted him to stay in the hospital. My wife of course has to stay with him, but we are thankful that the nursing staff have made her prolonged stay comfortable. Our doctor is a tad eccentric. He is an older, Indian man who holds to a lot of out dated methods. For example, the scale in his office to weigh children looks like it came from the 17th century. He puts the baby on one side and then adds counter weights to get it to balance. I kid you not.

When our baby was seen to have jaundice, he told my wife to stop breast feeding altogether and only give him formula from now on. That of course sounded weird to us, because both the older boys had serious jaundice, and we were instructed to only breast feed them. When we mentioned this odd request to our nurses, they would roll their eyes and say, "He believes this out dated idea that the breast milk can increase the jaundice." What?! They also use to believe illness was caused by an imbalance of bodily humors caused by a troll living in your tummy. We may be looking for another baby doctor soon.

9 Comments:

Blogger abi said...

yeah, i think you better.that's starting to sound a little creepy..

9:11 AM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger Peter D. Nelson said...

Congratulations Fred on the birth of a son. Glad to see you add another arrow to the quiver.

And for those of you from Seattle a quiver is what you carry your arrows in not what jello does on the table.

Again congratulations Fred.

3:36 PM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger ThirstyDavid said...

I weighed my kids (they were born at home) with the scale from my tackle box. I suppose you think that's odd, too! By the way, I think I do have a troll in my stomach.

Congratulations on the birth of your son.

6:55 AM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

If we change doctors, it will be a difficult decision, because inspite of his idiosyncrasies, he is a sweet little old man. I appreciate the kind regards everyone.

Fred

7:16 AM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Frank Martens said...

I got a new one for ya Fred... and I don't think you've covered this in your KJVO posting, so maybe you could soon :)...

I was talking with my dad, and he's hardcore KJV guy. In our discussions we were talking about various versions (he is definitely against NIV and I am as well) and we were talking about how KJV was translated from one single manuscript while the other translations had various other manuscripts to translate from.

My dad's response: So you don't think that God didn't provide enough at the time of the translating of KJV?

He believes that KJV is THE word of God (as it came out of his mouth :)... and I won't deny it, it is, as well as ESV, NKJV, NASB... all just using more resources God has given us to give a better translation.

Anyway... maybe you can post about this eventually.

Congrats on the little boy, I hope God works things out with the choices you now face.

10:34 AM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Chris Pixley said...

Fred-

Congratulations to you, old friend! Another surrogate grand-son for the sweet GTY volunteers to love on. It's a joy to hear how God is blessing you and your lovely wife.

12:33 PM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Frank,

The Lord willing, I will have a new KJV post up this week, perhaps tomorrow. (It is just finding the time to write it up).

In the mean time, your father's objection states:

So you don't think that God didn't provide enough at the time of the translating of KJV?

My reponse would be to ask him why previous English translation were not sufficient and God had to provide the KJV? He is arguing that the KJV is God's Word and then making the claim that modern version proponents are suggesting we didn't have God's word intact until the modern versions came along. But, he would argue for the superiority of the KJV over the Geneva, Tyndale NT, and other pre-KJV Bibles. Is he suggesting that God didn't provide enough during the translation of those pre-KJV Bibles? He is in the same boat as me if he were to argue against someone who is Bishop Bible only.

Obviously, the issue of newer translations in English is not to say we didn't have God's complete word at anyone time, but it is a process that provides a fresher translation of the receptor language, in this case English, as well as takes into account new manuscript finds that help us sharpen our focus as to the original autographs.

I hope that helps some.

Fred

2:25 PM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Impacted Wisdom Truth said...

Congratulations to you and Brenda, Freddy.

10:21 PM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Frank Martens said...

Fred,

Thanks, yes it does, I forgot about those other translations.

Cheers

3:35 PM, November 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home