<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Thursday, June 14, 2007

When Soul Winning Goes Bad

[This is a shameless repost from a few years ago. I feel no remorse for reposting, especially in between preparing newer posts. Anyways, I found it while searching my archives for something else, and I remembered how funny the subject matter was. I thought I would put it up for my newer readers who perhaps missed it and have no desire to search my archives to "catch up." The second comment by Highland Host is outstanding so make sure to read it.]

I am currently listening to Michael Medved interview a moonbat Bay area leftist by the name of Harmon Leon. I never heard of him before, but his writing, though from a leftist worldview, sounds as though it maybe funny to read.

Mr. Leon recently wrote a book telling of his adventures and experiences infiltrating various right-wing organizations. The book has the main title of Republican Like Me, implying that the groups he infiltrated are Republican in politics, but in all honesty, as I listen to him interviewed, a good portion of those "Republican" groups are really wacko and represent the fringe element in conservative right wing values.

Anyway, Michael asked Mr. Leon a thoughtful question. He asked him if during his adventures there were any conservatives he actually enjoyed making friends with? My curiosity was piqued when he said yes, the Christian Wrestling Federation. As Mr. Leon explained, these guys would wrestle, body slam each other, blood shooting, full on make-up and masks, and then after everything was finished, they would get all serious and present the gospel to the audience.

I had to go check this out for myself, so I googled the terms "Christian" and "wrestling" and was directed right to their website. Their governing verse is 1 Corinthians 9:22 that says I have become all things to all people that I might win some. This is just a wild-eyed guess, but I am thinking Paul didn't necessarily have in mind a couple of big guys in spandex tights body slamming each other. Of course, I could be wrong about that. Some of the wrestlers body slamming for Jesus are "Devestator," "Jesus Freak," "Psycho Simpson," and "The Cross Factor."

I could probably opine about the dumbing down of the gospel and how Christians are embarrassing Christ with foolishness, but I will restrain myself. I just thought it was interesting how the one conservative group this leftist guy actually enjoyed was the CWF.

Well, as long as there's a seed planted ...

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Stephen A Morse said...

I think the evangelism would be much more effective if we employed a soul slam and followed it up with some form of prayer driver to the mat with a flying leap off of the turn buckle!

Huh...
Guess I need to revamp my evamgelism program once again... although I don't see my deacons wearing any form of spandex as a good thing!

8:54 AM, November 15, 2005  
Blogger Highland Host said...

You Americans must institutionalise everything. I suspect the origin of this group is in the Highlands. Listen to this:

Aeneas Sage was ordained pastor in Lochcarron, Highlands, in the 1720s. He won little regard for his abilities as a minister because no-one would come to hear him. A strong man, Mr. Sage saw that the 'chief man' in Lochcarron was Big Rory, the champion in the Highland games. The only way for Mr. Sage to gain the respect of the district was to take on Big Rory. Sage challenged Big Rory in putting the stone, tossing the caber and in wrestling. He won an easy victory, and his fame was established at once. But still the people would not come to church. Only Big Rory came, and so Mr. Sage ordained Rory as an elder and, when the people gathered on Sunday mornings for their games, Mr. Sage and Big Rory would join them and carry them, two each, into the Church, locking the Church while they were away, so the people could not escape. At the opening of the service Big Rory would stand at the door with a club, and so the service would be conducted in a full church. It is said that, "Mr. Sage made the people very orthodox."
(adapted from Kennedy, 'The Days of the Fathers in Ross-Shire', P. 60)

11:15 AM, November 15, 2005  
Blogger Stephen A Morse said...

Highland...
Great story!

6:41 PM, November 15, 2005  
Blogger Fred Butler said...

Excellent story Highland. One other thing the Harmon Leon fellow mentioned that he liked about the CWF is their use of a guilotine during the performance. I am not sure how it fits in to a Christian wrestling show, but it boggles the imagination none the less.

Fred

6:40 AM, November 16, 2005  
Blogger centuri0n said...

Pro Wrestling is a thorn in my flesh. I pray that God would take it from me, but instead His grace must be sufficient.

To show you what I mean, I knew that Eddie Guerrero had died before I knew that Adrian Rogers had died. Is that crazy or what?

11:35 AM, November 16, 2005  
Blogger Highland Host said...

Fred Butler. The Guillotine is also a Scottish invention, originally called 'the Maiden', it was improved by a Frenchman called Guillot, and then he claimed to have 'invented' it. These Frenchmen!!!

The Free St. George's blog (mine) will (D.V.) run a 'Days of the Fathers' series after the present 'Who Was that Masked Prophet?' series ends.

7:15 AM, November 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home