Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Friday, November 18, 2005

Did Anyone Catch the Overt Christological Reference in the New Superman Trailer?

I just finished catching the new teaser trailer for the Superman Returns movie to be released Summer 2006. First off, what is with the title? Superman Returns? Did he leave for a trip? From the look of the trailer, I see it as a total remake starting from the beginning, so isn't the title already misinforming? Wouldn't a better title for this remake be Superman Begins, similar to the Batman Begins from last Summer?

The story link seems to suggest that Superman has returned after a long absence. Does this new Superman movie pick up where the Chris Reeve films ended? I can understand why Superman would want to leave after that disastrous 4th sequel. Remember how the wires on the flying mechanism of Superman's rival, Nuclear Man, were visible everytime he was on screen? And I never cared for Margot Kidder as Lois Lane. Even in the first film, she had this haggard, "I'm an old lush" look about her.

Anyhow, in the new teaser trailer, a narrator, who I am guessing is Superman's father, tells about how he is different from all the other people of Earth, because he is from another world. The narration is underscored by the original John William's Superman theme and it builds up to the final shot of the trailer which is Superman hovering above the Earth at the edge of space. It is the words at this point that caught my attention. The narrator says something (I am paraphrasing here): There is good in these people; that is why I am sending them my only son. I thought, "Hmmm, where have I heard that before?" A guy who is not like the rest of the people, has great powers and abilities, and is an only son sent from another world.

I am only curious if Saddleback Community Church, in conjunction with Fuller Seminary, will put out a study guide to help aide the discussions in small group Bible studies as to the Christian imagery found in the movie. Can't wait to see.


Blogger Frank Martens said...

dude, that is so funny... while I'm sitting here waiting for the teaser to download. On my "Blog & News" window it shows you just posted about it :)


1:30 PM, November 18, 2005  
Blogger pilgrim said...

Count on a study being done on it--I'm sure one is already in the works.
In my early Christian days I read a book by John Wesley White called "The Man From Krypton" about the parallels--so combine that with "I Love Lucy" studies and it will happen...

7:52 PM, November 18, 2005  
Blogger Ransom said...

That snippet of dialogue you posted is in fact Marlon Brando - the closing of Jor-El's monologue in the Fortress of Solitude, from the 1978 Superman - as is, as you noted, the music (John Williams' Krypton theme).

Somewhere on the Superman DVD - I can't find it right now - director Richard Donner does make a comment about the Messianic overtones of this particular speech.

The whole Superman mythos is about a "heavenly" father sending his all-powerful son to Earth to be raised by a human family and save the world. How much more Messianic can you get, really?

10:32 PM, November 18, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home