<body>
Hip and Thigh: Smiting Theological Philistines with a Great Slaughter. Judges 15:8

Friday, September 30, 2005

Good A Second Time Around

The good Lord has blessed me with the means to obtain a sizable library worth of theological books. I mean the good kind, not those Church pop-culture ones you find in the typical, Christian book stores with names like Family Life and Lamb's Way.

In my library, there are a handful of books I never tire of reading. Any time I am preparing for a sermon or a Bible study, and I have to pick one of them up to add to my research, I quickly find myself engrossed in what I am reading. Even though I have read this book a dozen times before, I just love how the author discusses the subject or how he may articulate a heavy theological subject so that it is understandable by the simplest of laymen.

I was browsing my selves early this week and compiled a working list of my favorite re-reads. Let me share them with you in no particular order.

A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Church - Robert Reymond

Robert Reymond has published one of the best up-to-date and modern systematic theologies available. His chapters on the revelation of scripture and the decrees of God are alone worth the 30 dollar price for the book. Yeah, Yeah, he is a baby sprinkler, but we can excuse that one deficient portion of his outstanding work.

The Divine Challenge - John Byl

I promoted this book in an earlier blog from last month, but his book is worth the plug once again. Hands down, this is probably one of the best books on apologetics available. Byl writes with clarity and precision as he address the three major worldviews in our world and dismantles them in light of Christian theism.

No Place for Sovereignty: What's Wrong with Free will Theism? - R.K. McGregor-Wright

I am surprised that many Calvinist minded Christian are completely unaware of this book. I think it is one of the clearest, well-written critiques of freewill theism and defenses of biblical sovereignty to be published. Wright is thoughtful and his work is thoroughly researched. I can not recommend this book highly enough.

New Covenant Ministry of the Holy Spirit - Larry Pettegrew

Dr. Pettegrew teaches theology at the Master's Seminary. I understand this book is a reader friendly version of his doctorate thesis. He basically covers the ministry of the Holy Spirit from the time of the OT to the transition into the NT. It is my favorite studies of the Holy Spirit I have read.

All Things New: The Significance of Newness for Biblical Theology - Carl B. Hoch

The title is rather self explanatory. Basically, Hoch takes the reader through a study of "newness" in the Bible and discusses why the New Testament is considered "new."

Epistle to the Romans - Douglas Moo

Several of my friends don't necessarily care for Moo's take on Romans 7 (I happen to like it), but that aside, every time I refer to Romans in a Bible study, I check Moo's comments on a passage. For a technical commentary, this is probably one of the easiest to navigate for non-technical folks.

Creation and Change - Douglas Kelly

A good introduction to the reading of the creation narrative in Genesis. Kelly interacts with all the relevant literature and alternative interpretations and graciously explains how they are all bogus and only a literal, historical reading of the passage is how a person should read Genesis 1 and 2.

Refuting Evolution 1 and 2 - Jonathan Sarfati

Dr. Sarfati is a staffer with Answers in Genesis, the creationist apologetic ministry. He has written, what is in my mind, two of the best introductions to the evolution-creation debate. The first volume called "Refuting Evolution" explores the inadequacy of materialistic naturalism in explaining the origins of life on the planet. He does this through a review of the National Science Association's evolutionary text book published for reading in public high schools. The second volume, "Refuting Evolution 2" interacts with and critiques a Scientific American article called "15 Answers to Creationist Nonsense" and the exclaimed PBS mini-series called Evolution. Both books should be required reading for pastors in my mind, and both deal with

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home